*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/775726-This-ones-about-the-awards
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#775726 added February 22, 2013 at 2:54pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the awards.
THE PROMPT: "Tell us what your favorite nominee is in the "Invalid Item and why - exclusive of the blogs nominated (I think we get enough of that). No selecting yourself either."

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen of the voting population! Allow me to introduce to you my homegirl, Debbie Downer. She's just here to oversee my feelings and make sure I don't get too out of hand today.

Alright. Glad I got that little disclaimer off my chest. It's been one of the more interesting months in the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS, hasn't it? Some solid and outstanding work by the vets, and some really intriguing work by the newcomers as well. It's my guess that the 2013 award for Best Blog comes from this February's entrants. That's about as willing as I can get into this guessing game.

But this isn't about 2013. This is about 2012. Have you seen that list of nominees? Man, it's huge! Congrats to all, especially my peers, for the nominations. I know y'all deserved it. I'm on that list twice myself, but I'm not allowed to say much about it. You can form your own opinions about that.

It's actually the second year in a row that I've been nominated for Best Blog and Best Comedy. That's cool. I remember last year at this time, some of us in the 30DBC were still trying to figure out how to get out from under Sister Mary's thumb. We lost a few great competitors and writers over that mess. I remember saying "I don't care about having the best blog this month if I have the blog of the year!!" Or something like that.

I won neither the 30DBC nor The Quill that month. (But it's worth mentioning that The Quill for Best Blog was won by a great writer and person, Julie D - PUBLISHED! ...congrats one last time, Twinner!)

I'm okay with not winning a Quill again this year also. I've read a good amount of the people I'm up against...it's a solid group and I'm proud just to be recognized along side of some great people. But while it'd be nice, a Quill doesn't make me. It doesn't change the struggle of my ways. It doesn't add to what else isn't there any more than what I add when I wake up every day. It doesn't totally validate me or what I do. It just means it's among the highest forms of recognition I'll get, which again, is nice...but there's over 15,000 bits of recognition this item has received over time that to me are every bit as important. Believe that.

As for who I'm voting for, well, that's between me and your maker. But I can tell you what the biggest injustice in this year's ceremony will be: it's that Brother Nature wasn't nominated in the Best Nature category. *Laugh*

Good luck to all the nominees...especially the ones in Blogging. Picking a favorite from all of you would be like trying to sniff the color nine. But if you make me a sandwich, that could tempt me to up your cool points a little.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

It's not all about the awards. Tell 'em, Flav.



VITAL STATS:

*Sleep* An ironic part of this library's rules regarding noise states: "Some people come to the library for the sanctuary and quiet." Explain to me then, Cortland Library, why you choose to vaccuum the carpet in the middle of the day? I know of stores in malls with even lower standards of customer service that don't vaccuum during hours of operation.

*Smartphone* Speaking of ironic (or maybe moronic) rules, another is the one about cell phones, and how they must be "turned off at all times", yet I do the majority of work on my cell phone and I haven't been reprimanded (yet, but give it time I'm sure). To further illustrate the idiocity of this rather inane "rule", a librarian-type chick always walks around with her phone in her back pocket (and I'm not ashamed to admit how I know that) and has, on occasion, answered it. And this is not only the same building that has a "cell phones off" policy, but also offers iPad training courses. In fact, a woman with midget-like arms is sitting at the table across from me furiously tapping and dragging her fingers along the screen of a tablet device that is making more noise than me, my Blackberry, or my gum-chewing (which is probably another no-no here also).

Ok, I've done enough whining for today. Sister Mary would've been proud, I'm sure. And since there are no sandwiches forthcoming, I'm off to edit and then go get my own. No cool points today. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!



Nominate your favorite authors to be awarded in the Quills!

© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/775726-This-ones-about-the-awards