*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778391-IRC-International-Relocation-Center
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#778391 added March 24, 2013 at 4:38pm
Restrictions: None
IRC (International Relocation Center)
    There are 20 refugee relocation centers in America. I live in one of them. Boston, New York City, and Philadelphia are 3 more. By comparison, my town is small. But it's a university town, with many cultures and lots of open-mindedness in business and in the townspeople, as well as on campus. About ten years ago, when I lived elsewhere I heard a state level ministerial leader say that every possible world religion was represented in this area. That's not why I moved here. I came back to my home town.

    I love meeting these people. Most don't want to tell their stories. They don't speak the language, and some aren't willing to learn. Some become citizens. Some say they will never be citizens. When asked when they plan to go back to their country, the answer might be, "When I die", like one young man I heard.

    While I am passionate about their right to be here, and what they are escaping, I recognize logistical problems and varieties of attitudes. They have to have jobs. That means they're competing with Americans for a hand full of jobs. They have to have homes and transportation. They only get assistance for 90 days to six months for health and food, or less once they start receiving paychecks (longer for preschoolers only). They can't communicate with doctors, or social workers, or employers.

    After a while they know enough English to get by, but are frequently misunderstood or avoided by service people or co-workers.They still can't read English. They need help with their bills, their insurance, and banking. They don't read the newsletters or understand posters in the workplace. Most won't seek help. The employer must find resources and enforce their use. The individuals tend to stay with people they know or relatives. They don't socialize or mingle with society.

    Obviously, I'm not talking about students or doctors who have chosen to come here for fun or education, but about the working classes who came here in desperation. In my community this is a very real and present dilemma. I'm trying to determine my role. I'm not going to be a bystander.

    I've tried corralling some people at church to sponsor a quarterly social, where all they have to do is bring cookies or cheese and crackers and stand by smiling and charmingly ask questions in English. The visitors, from the large hospital and university staff and the refugee center would come only to practice listening or speaking English in a safe environment. There would be no fear of misinterpretation or hostility. We could have music or games.

    Now a co-worker and I are thinking of teaching reading to adults who are already getting by with a minimal knowledge of spoken English. She wants to do children's books. I want to do more work related words since they already know the alphabet and can do names and addresses and read enough for a driver's license. (How did they pass the test?)

    The pieces haven't come together yet. Somehow I will have a part in helping them acclimate to a better world. I want to be the kind of American that makes them happy they made this choice.

© Copyright 2013 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778391-IRC-International-Relocation-Center