*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778458-Humility
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#778458 added March 24, 2013 at 4:32pm
Restrictions: None
Humility
             I just have to share a thought from today's sermon, the children's sermon, that is. When Mom or Dad says, I've made a cake. Who wants to lick the beaters?", we all go running. But when they're cleaning, and one says, "Who wants to come clean the toilet?", no one budges. It's a job nobody wants to do, but it has to be done.

         After triumphal entry to Jerusalem with shouts and palm branches, they gathered for the meal. It was customary for a servant to wash the feet of travelers (who wore sandals) before reclining or sitting on the floor by the table. No servant was present, so they all looked around. What would they do? Not eat? But Jesus, the figurative king on the donkey, took the towel and the wash basin and washed their feet. The lesson is that we must serve each other. The one who would be great must be humble.

         Who is really great among us? The one who flashes diamonds and has drunken parties like a celebrity? The one who commands others to do his bidding? Or the one who sacrifices for others, for his country, for his family? The one who serves, like Mother Theresa?

         If we want to be great, we must find a way to serve our community, to serve others. This applies not only in grand gestures or volunteer work, but in every day relationships. No job is too small to be done well, too small to be appreciated. 

© Copyright 2013 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778458-Humility