*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778835-Day-13-Prompt-1---My-Best-Friend
by Jordi
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1924437
Short stories from images
#778835 added March 27, 2013 at 5:49pm
Restrictions: None
Day 13 Prompt 1 - My Best Friend
         The alarm clock buzzed angrily on the bedside table but she was already awake – had been awake for hours, thinking. She stretched a hand out and pressed the button, plunging the room back into silence – empty and alone.
         She wanted to stay in her bed, hiding from a world that suddenly seem so cruel and heartless but she had jobs to do and places to go. Pushing back the duvet she climbed out of bed and walked over to the bathroom, her eyes avoiding the empty space. He hadn’t come up to bed last night and her heart was heavy with the knowledge.
         She showered and washed her hair, taking her time under the steaming spray. The bathroom was soon filled with the minty scent of the shower gel, something that usually lifted her spirits but failed today.
         Going down the stairs she paused at the entrance to the lounge, the door stood ajar but she could not see into the room. Would he get up to greet her or would he just be lying there, waiting for her to make the first move.
         She took a deep breath, nerves stretched taut and pushed the door open. At first she did not see him but then movement caught her eye and she saw him lying there, a guilty look on his face. Guilt? What had he to be guilty about, she wondered.
         She was just about to ask when the doorbell rang and she went to see who it was. When she returned to the room she saw straightaway why he was looking so guilty. The remains of the chicken that had been defrosting for dinner today lay next to him but she wasn’t angry at the sight. If he wanted to eat the chicken then today was obviously a good day.
         “I guess you don’t need this, yet?” she asked as she set the parcel containing the Eddie’s Wheels cart on the floor.
         The answering woof was accompanied by the huge GSD climbing slowly to his feet, his weakened rear end swaying slightly as he staggered towards her.
         “Walkies?” she asked, suddenly feeling lighter inside.
         Another woof answered her.
         Today was going to be another good day to spend with your best friend.
© Copyright 2013 Jordi (UN: jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jordi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778835-Day-13-Prompt-1---My-Best-Friend