*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778884-Where-to-begin
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1925678
Musings and ramblings on writing (so far) and anything else...
#778884 added March 28, 2013 at 12:35pm
Restrictions: None
Where to begin.
         "Begin at the beginning."

         Sounds like good advice, but every time I try, it turns out something happened before that. Any place in my timeline, I can go back and find another event that caused it. Eventually, I'll end up writing a story about the Big Bang instead of my interstellar romance. So, we need another way.

         Good narrative gives enough information so that a reader hungers for more. That's where you need to start your account. There's always a moment that is simple, yet compelling: the right moment needs few words of introduction. "The beginning" is any point in the story that can hook me in just a few words and hold me long enough to care about the rest of the story.

Examples:

He brushed my daughter's forehead with the barrel of his gun.

I wanted to scream out, "I trusted you!" But I knew, she was right to do it.

My stomach cramped as I saw the flashing blue and red lights in the rear view mirror.

I never thought I would consider doing something like this.

The car began to shimmy left and right as I lost control.


          Who are these people? Why does he have a gun to my daughter's forehead? Why do I feel betrayed if she's doing the right thing- am I the bad guy? What do the police want- is it a routine stop or something life-changing? Instantly, the reader has questions- feels something about the situation, and wants to know more. As you look through the events of your story, early on there must be a conflict that can be introduced in a single sentence. That, I suggest, is where your story starts.

© Copyright 2013 Joto-Kai (UN: jotokai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joto-Kai has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778884-Where-to-begin