*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784380-The-Missiles-of-September
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#784380 added June 9, 2013 at 8:44pm
Restrictions: None
The Missiles of September
In my opinion Benghazi is potentially the most damaging of the scandals facing the White House. The rest pale by comparison. If the American people ever find out what possibly happened that night it will send a shudder the length of our National Fabric.

We know the facts are being withheld but why? It isn’t really that hard to figure out. Ask yourself what would happen in the Situation Room in a developing national crisis when the President can't be located. The answer is obvious enough. Protocols would be set in motion and there would be a mad scramble to find the Vice President. In addition the alert status would be elevated and while this could be concealed from the American People you can bet it wasn't lost on the Soviets.

What happened when out of the blue the alert status got bumped up? Did actions take place that were spontaneous and unprogrammed?. Did we have a surprise test of our Strategic Readiness Posture that was generated without warning? It would be interesting to know how long it took our potential enemies to respond. I bet they were really surprised. Think about it. Suddenly Strategic Air Command (SAC) bombers lifted off from their bases looking for safe airspace. I bet that sent a real chill to Moscow. How long was it before President Putin got on the hot line and inquired what was going on. And what did we tell him….? “Ah we can’t find the President.” Duh! I don’t think so. If there was ever an opportunity for a preemptive strike it was when the Commander in Chief was “Disengaged.” My guess is that the National Command Authority was paralyzed and the machinery came grinding to a halt. Think what the reaction was when the Soviets elevated their alert posture in response? We are told Benghazi was a sideshow and I can believe that. The real show could have been center stage, in the Situation Room as the scramble began to exercise the back-up plan.

No doubt some will claim this is conjecture and in part it is. How can someone long retired, who never worked in National Security, on a farm in Central Wisconsin, have the slightest clue what happened?

The answer is that the clues are everywhere. First is the cover-up. It isn’t just the White House clamping the lid down it’s the National Command Authority. For the “Good of the American People,” a cover up could be justified to conceal both a complete lack of readiness and how close the world came to a spiraling worst-case scenario. Look at the aftermath and read the tealeaves.

Generals in Europe and Africa were quietly asked to retire. A major shake-up took place at Minot AFB. Could it be our readiness posture at major world wide commands was caught flat footed, that the land-based missiles took long to become operational? Why top leaders in the White House and the State Department were not questioned in the initial report and why follow up inquiries are now being done behind closed doors. Now the President’s National Security Advisor has quietly stepped down. The clues are everywhere and “Mums” the word. It could well have been a bad night for this great country and I doubt we will ever know the full scope of what happened. I suspect the truth of it belongs right up there with “The Missiles of October.”

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784380-The-Missiles-of-September