*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784795-Writing-Yesterday-and-Today
Rated: E · Book · Entertainment · #1932477
It is a waste to ignore the musings of the mind.
#784795 added June 13, 2013 at 1:58am
Restrictions: None
Writing, Yesterday and Today
I would like to talk about graduation.

Recently, my granddaughter graduated from high school. I attended the ceremony and realized that my graduation from high school (which seems a million years ago!) was almost a copy of my granddaughter's graduation. There were the noises, the hoots and laughters, the gathering of parents, siblings, and relatives, and the crowds. And then there was the presentation of diplomas.

Watching the ceremony recently, it dawned on me that graduation was actually the start when I wanted very much to write. In my young mind, I thought I was adult enough to think that writing would be a good way to begin a new life. Although I had very good grades with my essays at school, I took it for granted that writing, possibly writing as a journalist, was what I wanted.

So I enrolled into the university with journalism as my major and English as my minor. It was an eye-opener. And it was fun as well. But my idea of writing as a young high schooler was not exactly the same as the writing that newspapers put out. I learned to write tight; to begin with the most interesting part of a story, followed by describing the actual event. It was a good learning, and I loved it.

Am I glad I took the journalism course!






© Copyright 2013 elephantsealer (UN: liliapadwes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
elephantsealer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784795-Writing-Yesterday-and-Today