*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784946-Saturday-morning-Thoughts-on-Historical-Periods
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#784946 added June 15, 2013 at 10:50am
Restrictions: None
Saturday morning Thoughts on Historical Periods
The June 15, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum
What historical time period would you live in that you have not previously lived in? (i.e. if you've lived in the 70's you can't say you'd like to live then)


It's Saturday and, as usual, I have a thought provoking prompt to consider and write about. This is going to take a bit of thought and random comments or writing because I don't think I've ever seriously considered living in another time period. I was born in 1946, so I have lived through some interesting and stressful time periods. There were times in my life when I wished I was born in less stressful times or on another planet, but those were just fleeting fantasies. I believe that I was born in this time in history for a reason, other then as the result of a moment of passion in my parents marriage. I'm not sure of the reason I was born, but I'm sure there was a reason for my birth.

Now back to the prompt: What historical time period would I live in? The Roaring Twenties sound interesting and just as stressful as the time I came into the world. I'm sure I wouldn't want to live during the dust bowl because that would just aggravate my dust allergies. I know I wouldn't want to live in a time before indoor plumbing and flush toilets because I'm sure I would be unable to eat breakfast after emptying and cleaning my chamber pot; I would have to have a chamber pot because there would be no way I would traipse to an outhouse in the middle of the night.

Since I have to chose an historical period, I would chose any time period after 1840 because up until that time the only indoor toilets existed in hotels or the homes of the wealthy.1 I chose the Roaring Twenties because most people probably had indoor toilets and I like the dances that were popular. I could do without the bathtub gin (or was this during another time period); however, know they had coffee and other good tasting nonalcoholic drinks. I think I could live happily and in relative safety during the Roaring Twenties.



As I said, I believe an individual is born at a specific time in history for a reason; therefore, since I was born in the late forties and survived into the twenty-first century I need to be focused on what I can do at this time in history. I need to look at whether or not I'm making someone's life better or worse? Do I live the way I'm supposed to live? Do I make today better then yesterday? These are the questions I need to answer in my personal life because this is the day, the time period of history, I was meant to live in.

Thought of the Day: "A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." - Mahatma Gandhi

Footnotes
1  http://inventors.about.com/od/pstartinventions/a/Plumbing_3.htm


© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784946-Saturday-morning-Thoughts-on-Historical-Periods