*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/785861-Catching-Up-on-Missed-Entries-On-The-Last-Day-of-June
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#785861 added June 30, 2013 at 11:49am
Restrictions: None
Catching Up on Missed Entries On The Last Day of June
It is the last day of June 2013, I spent the past two days focusing on reviewing so that I could purchase another 1-month premium membership. I succeeded! My writing.com membership expires on July 31, 2013. I am not as tired this morning as I was yesterday morning, but that is because this morning when my alarm went off at 4:00 am I turned it off, took my thyroid medication, and went back to sleep. I go back to my regular 11:00 pm bedtime tonight instead of the 12:30 am bedtime.

Helter swelter,
the homeless need a summer shelter
because of extreme heat warnings.

The last two day I have gotten online between 4:00 am and 12:00 pm. One reason for this is afternoon temperatures between 110 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Another reason is going to bed at 12:30 am and getting up at 4:00 am, I had to take an afternoon nap. June is almost over, but the extreme heat warning remains in effect until Monday or Tuesday. After that the temperatures are supposed go down to more reasonable degrees between 105 through 109 Fahrenheit, at least in Las Vegas.

The June 30, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
Have you ever been in snowball fights? Were they good or bad experiences?

On the last day of June,
I would enjoy a snowball fight,
I would enjoy getting hit in the face
by an ice cold snowball
while standing in the shade of an oak tree
in triple digit temperatures,
wondering why I was ignoring
the extreme heat warning
just to get hit in the face by a snowball.

The last time I was in a snowball fight was when I was a child in Blackwell, Oklahoma. One of my sibling, hit me in the face with a snowball. At the time I did not like the experience. However, after the past couple of days in Las Vegas, experiencing extreme heat warnings and an outdoor temperature of 115 degrees, I am reassessing the experience. I have decided that the problem with snowball fights is that they happen in winter when temperatures are below 50 degrees. Snowball fights would be much more pleasant and welcome in summer when the temperatures rise over 100 or 110 degrees.

The June 28, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
What historical events happened the year you were born?

According to historyorb.com,1 420 historical events happened in 1946. I am going to list one or two for each month (except December which has three events). These are the events that I found most interesting.

*Note* On January 1, Mauchly and Eckert finished ENAIAC the first computer in the USA.
*Noteb* On January 17, the United Nations Security Council held its first meeting.
*Noteg* On February 26, two people were killed and ten wounded when a race riot broke out in Columbia, Tenn.
*Noteo* On March 15, Attlee, British premier, agreed with India's right to independence.
*Noter* On March 22, the first United Sates rocket left Earth's atmosphere; it ascended 50 miles.
*Notev* On April 16, the United Sates launches the first capture V-2 rocket in White Sands, NM; it ascended 8 km.
*Notew* On May 9, "NBC's Hour Glass" premiers; it is the first hour long television television show.
*Note* On May 26, a patent was filed in the United States for the H-bomb.
*Noteb* On June 3, the United States Supreme Court ruled that race separation on buses was unconstitutional.
*Noteg* On June 7, discrimination in interstate travel is banned by the United States Supreme Court.
*Noteo* On July 1, the United States dropped an atom bomb on Bikini atoll, which was the fourth atomic explosion.
*Noter* On August 6, the United States officially submitted to the jurisdiction of the World Court.
*Notev* On September 11, the first mobile long-distance car-to-car telephone call occurred.
*Notew* On September 30, Churchhill argued in favor of a United States "of Europe".
*Note* On October 9, the first electric blanket was manufactured; it cost a consumer $39.50.
*Noteb* On October 24, the first photograph of Earth was taken from outer space; the camera was on board a V-2 number 13 rocket.
*Noteg* On November 12, the first "autobank" was formed in Chicago; this is banking by car.
*Noteo* On November 13, in Mt. Graylock, MA, the first artificial snow was produced from natural clouds.
*Noter* On December 5, President Truman, with Executive Order Number 9808, created the Committee on Civil Rights.
*Notev* On December 12, the United Nations accepted John D. Rockefeller, JR's gift of six Manhattan blocks.
*Notew* On December 31, President Harry Truman officially proclaims the end of World War II.

Thought of the Day: "Study history, study history. In history lies all the secrets of statecraft." - Winston Churchill

Footnotes
1  http://www.historyorb.com/events/date/1946


© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/785861-Catching-Up-on-Missed-Entries-On-The-Last-Day-of-June