*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/786072-War-Chest-Wednesday-A-Description-of-Morning
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#786072 added July 3, 2013 at 8:28am
Restrictions: None
War Chest Wednesday: A Description of Morning
The July 3, 2013 prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS is
Look out your window and describe what you see. Alternatively, look at the desk in front of you and describe it. For the ambitious, try both. *Smirk*

It's about 4:50 am here in Las Vegas. The sun is still below Sunrise Mountain or Frenchman's Mountain depending on whether you can identify the difference between the two. I suspect the one I can see, if I go outside and walk into the middle of Bracken Ave. is Frenchman's Mountain. I think Sunrise Mountain is a little to the south, so facing east I would have to look to my right; if I were willing to walk into the middle of any street in Las Vegas this early in the morning.

The scene outside my living room window is darkness with slight illumination from a street light on the western corner of Bracken Ave. and Bruce St. The light on the corner illuminates the back of a white car, which belongs to the neighbors on the corner. I cannot see the houses directly across the street, but I can see the light in the window of a two story house on the corner of a street further down. The light shows above the roof of the house across the street. This is a light that remains on all night, I don't know why the people keep a light in the upstairs window.

As I glance out my window, I can see the darkness fading. The ebony night turns deep blue, with the approach of dawn. This early in the morning, the sky appears cloudy; however, I think that is an illusion of the morning. I don't think there are clouds in the sky. Of course, I could be wrong about that since I can't tell the difference between a first light sky and a cloud covered sky. I also can't seem to distinguish the difference between the light in the house across the street and a light in the second floor of a two story house on one of the farther corners. As dawn approaches, I can now determine that the light in the window I described in the last paragraph is in the house across the street. I still don't know why they keep a light on inside all night. Perhaps for the same reason, I keep a light on in the entrance hall and in the bathroom all night.

Now that there;s more light outside, I can see the neighbor's trash cans on the curb. The neighbor's directly across the street placed three full plastic trashcans on the curb for the garbage trucks to empty. This is Wednesday, one of the two days in my neighborhood that trash is collected. The intriguing thing about the neighbor's across the street, is that they always put out three black plastic trashcans twice a week, Saturday and Wednesday, for the trucks to empty. I don't suppose it's any of my business why they have that much trash, I do notice that they never put any recyclables every other Saturday for the recyclable trucks to empty. Apparently haven't gone green, so that could explain why they have so much trash.

It's probably none of my business why they have so much trash. At least, not as an ordinary human being; however, I'm not an ordinary human being. I am a writer! I have an excuse to notice what's going on in my neighborhood because I can always use it in a story. I can use the trashcans in a story and I can use the light in the window of the house across the street as a story. I think the light is in the window is in a bathroom and not the entrance hall of the house on the corner. I can understand keeping a light on in the bathroom all night and perhaps all day. If it's on all night, no one know when or if a neighbor goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night, which isn't anyone else's business.

the first light of day
reveals night's hidden secrets
and activates a
writer's imagination

Thought of the Day: "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan



© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/786072-War-Chest-Wednesday-A-Description-of-Morning