*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/787378-Writing-and-Reading-What-Do-These-Mean
Rated: E · Book · Entertainment · #1932477
It is a waste to ignore the musings of the mind.
#787378 added July 24, 2013 at 3:29am
Restrictions: None
Writing and Reading, What Do These Mean?
I remember the amount of reading I did when I was in high school. I was always in the library, reading, but most of the time, borrowing books to take home. I loved reading then, and I still have that strong desire to read today.

I noticed, though, that most of the young people I have come in contact do not read books. What I see in their hands are mobiles or ipads. I asked them what books they have in their ipads and I get a shock when they say, books are not interesting. Their mobiles are for "texting" or calling friends and chatting. Even their computers are used mainly for chatting. When they "text" or "chat" they use abbreviations or initials that don't mean anything at all like proper words -- I mean words that are spelled and used properly in a sentence.

I ask myself: is this the reason many of our children cannot spell properly or cannot construct a proper sentence? Or is this why our children cannot join in conversations because they have no idea what the conversation is all about?

The books I read when I was in high school were cleverly and appropriately constructed to form a proper sentence. a phrase, a paragraph. Reading helped me write essays at exams. Reading gave me ideas to form my own opinion when talking to others. Books became my best friends because I was entertained, and learned lessons that helped me cope with the many tiresome phases in life. Reading expanded my vocabulary. Reading was (and still is) my mentor when I began to write. Reading taught me how to spell properly. Reading put proper words in my mouth when I speak.

Do you read?




© Copyright 2013 elephantsealer (UN: liliapadwes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
elephantsealer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/787378-Writing-and-Reading-What-Do-These-Mean