*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/788553-Chapter-4
Rated: 13+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1946584
One night a man meets a strange girl by chance, who turns his life upside-down.
#788553 added August 10, 2013 at 3:57am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4
Night was falling and the lights from the police cars were bright in the distance as the two of them drove off heading west. Charliee had wanted to drive, but Thomas had refused to give over the keys. Now he was busy listening to her explain more about the group’s criminal activities including drugs, weapons and theft, all of which had resulted in the impressive sum of money that she had liberated. The details of how exactly she gained access to the accounts were still a mystery.
‘Where are we going?’ he asked. The question had a sense of futility about it.
‘West,’ was her only reply.
More for the sake of saying something, he pushed the question: ‘Where West?’
‘It doesn’t matter, at least not until we lose Lucien and the cops,’ she said. Thomas glanced in his rear-view. As far as he could tell no one was chasing them… yet.
‘We need to change cars,’ he said. The idea sounded unnatural, like it wasn’t really him saying it.
Charliee looked across at him and smiled. ‘We have some time – I changed the plates before we left.’
Thomas looked over at her hands, still covered in grease. It disturbed him that she could say things like that now. She could say things like that and he believed her. Worse, she could say them and they wouldn’t shock him.
They drove for about an hour without talking. Every 15 minutes she would turn on the radio and listen to the headlines, but nothing about their escape came on. The buildings were getting smaller and further apart now, the road thinner, and more and more signs said Adelaide over anything else. Eventually they passed a motel with a restaurant and about 15 cars parked outside. Charliee said quietly, ‘Pull over here.’
Standing in the dark in the carpark, Thomas considered letting her walk inside and driving away. He could return to his life. He could tell the police what he knew about Lucien Lordes and his gang of criminals. Reports would have to be filled, insurance claims dealt with, repairs to his wall made; but ultimately everything would return to normal. All he had to do was drive.
Charliee came around the car and stood in front of him.
‘Thomas,’ she said. She waited for him to raise his eyes to meet hers. ‘I am sorry you know. If you want to just go and leave me here, I’ll understand. I’ll be alright.’ She was different now. The playful innocence from before was hiding, waiting for permission to come out, like part of a children’s game. He didn’t know what to say to her.
‘You’ve brought a lot of trouble on me since last night, you know that?’ Thomas’ voice was calm, unwavering. He was surprised at that, but glad.
‘I know, and I feel terrible. But I couldn’t have done it without you, whether you believe me or not.’
‘Why? What makes me so special? You could have hitched a ride with anyone that night.’ For a moment Thomas considered there might be worst things then having his life put on the line. He decided he would leave her here if – when they were done talking – he still felt like he was being completely used.
‘You could have called the cops on me at any time.’ She took his hands in hers as she spoke. ‘Don’t you get it? You could have turned me in to them, or to Lucien. This only works if I trust you as much as you trust me.’
Thomas listened, unsure of himself. He thought about her asleep on his couch, how safe she had seemed to feel, despite what was chasing her. Could people really learn to trust each other that quickly?
‘So what now?’ he asked.
‘You give me your keys,’ she answered. She reached out her hand, palm up. The old smile was back on her lips. ‘I’ll go inside and find us a car.’ Something on Thomas’ face must have mirrored his thoughts because her next words were ‘Please, Thomas. You really can trust me.’
Slowly, Thomas took the car key of his ring, and passed it over. Then, wordlessly, he turned and rested against the car door, arms folded.
‘When this is over, I’m going to make it up to you, I promise!’ Charliee said, smiling widely, before disappearing into the light of the restaurant.
Eight minutes later Charliee’s silhouette filled the door and she jumped out into the carpark waving a new key. ‘Over here!’ she cried, pointed over to red convertible on the far side of the lot.
‘How did you manage that?’ Thomas asked as he took his place in the passenger side.
‘So many questions!’ she laughed back, climbing inside and firing up the ignition.
The night was warmer this time and they drove with the top down. Despite everything, Thomas tried to enjoy the moment as she was drove fast, enjoying the freedom that came from traffic-less roads after dark.
‘There’s something I couldn’t say until I knew you were in this completely,’ Charliee called over the wind. Her voice was different again – Thomas had to work to keep up with the changes. ‘I have a contact in Adelaide. He has codes that can help me transfer the money so that neither Lucien nor anyone else can find it.’
Thomas reached up and patted his shirt pocket. Still inside was the business card from Harrison. Adelaide, he thought, the city of contacts. He was tempted to laugh, but just smiled a little instead. Charliee was watching him, but said nothing.
‘Ok,’ he finally answered. ‘Let’s go meet your friend.’
‘He’s no friend,’ she replied, ‘and he can’t see me. He and I have… history.’
‘Then how…’ he stopped short. He had the sick feeling he was walking into a trap.
‘I need you to go and meet him for me. He’ll take care of the rest.’ The trap was sprung.
‘And why in the world would I do that?’
‘Because,’ she said, ‘you do this, and half the hundred million is yours.’
Neither of them spoke again for several hours.
© Copyright 2013 Piccara (UN: piccara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Piccara has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/788553-Chapter-4