*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/789665-Joining-the-old-age-club
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#789665 added August 25, 2013 at 12:13am
Restrictions: None
Joining the old age club
             I've finally done it. I've crossed the line. I have officially joined the Old Geezers who hate having their routine changed.

             I rushed home from an afternoon of Saturday shopping so that I wouldn't miss reruns of The Virginian. Only it doesn't come on Saturday night any more! The show is one I missed the first time around--40 years ago. But one I watch avidly now. Every Saturday night, I finish the dishes and sweep the floors, settle down with a glass of iced tea, and watch two episodes back to back. I'm into the characters. I keep track of the details, and who's missing. I'm into the theme song. I haven't seen them all, and now they're gone.

           I always felt guilty watching 3 hours of TV straight through, so I'd get up and take my medicine during the commercials, go to the bathroom, empty the wastebasket, dust, just to be moving occasionally and keep the blood flowing. But when the commercial ended, I was back in my soft chair with my afghan. (Yes, I get cold just sitting, but, no, it's not because I'm anemic or old.)

         So now I'll have to find other activities, like reading or writing. I always laughed at my mother in law who was distraught over TV changes, but then she watched 10 hours a day, a lot of it while reclining. It was her life. Her meals and all her routines were absolutely the same every day. But I'm afraid I've taken a step in that direction.

         I guess I like the routines of everyday living, even if it's only one night a week that's throwing me for a loop. But what about my newly acquired addiction? Where am I going to find more reruns of The Virginia, particularly the later ones?

© Copyright 2013 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/789665-Joining-the-old-age-club