*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/795142-The-Hunger-Games
Rated: E · Book · Career · #1959122
Not that you need to enter my crazy mind, but here you go anyway. Enjoy!
#795142 added October 20, 2013 at 4:27pm
Restrictions: None
The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins have recently become my new obsession. (Or were when this was originally written in 2012.)





I believe that The Hunger Games is the most powerful and moving, not to mention heart wrenching trio of books I have ever read. It's more than just a story, or even a rebellion, definitely more than a teen romance. It is a movement, a revolution against a totalitarian government, a glimpse of the true horrors and the miraculous heart that human beings possess. It doesn't just represent one side, but both, presenting the reader with a protagonist who is not perfect, but like most readers themselves, she is flawed, undecided in what is truly right and wrong in war and in life. In love. That in itself is inspiring. However, when added to the fact that the characters showed true courage, rising up against those in power to fight for what was right, what they believed in, even in the face of danger, death and loss, the books moved me to tears. For true evil is not just fed by actions of those who side with it, but by those who sit by and do nothing. Suzanne Collins created a masterpiece in which she has captured the human spirit, for better or for worse, and if ever I accomplish my dream, fame and fortune aside, I hope to be able to create something that is as meaningful and as inspiring as this story. Because really, the terrible truth is a reality like The Hunger Games is not that far off.





A friend asked me why it had to be so realistic. She said she could feel their pain as if it were her own.





But I think that’s the point. It is real. It could actually happen. Look at when it is. It’s not too far in the future, and it’s in North America. Those who came before (us) had no regard for those who would come after and we destroyed our planet, leaving the generations after us to deal with the consequences. In the mess that was left, the Capitol, (probably a metaphor for the 1% of our population that carries most of our wealth) rose up and made the rest of Panem virtually their slaves. A rebellion would most definitely ensue and if the government won, is it really that far off to think that they would prove their power by creating the Hunger Games? Look at our society, look at the obsession we have with reality TV. It’s entertainment to see people’s dreams destroyed or to see their hearts broken. We have movies about people hacking each other up. There have been two movies where inmates provide entertainment in a fight to the death. How long before a movie becomes a reality, especially in a broken society like Panem? And then, how long before the rest of the population would rise up against the government? It really isn’t much of a stretch if you think about it. I think that’s what makes the story so powerful. It’s not like Twilight. The main characters don’t all survive and have happy endings. Even in Harry Potter where she killed off a lot of the characters, the message of the Hunger Games is much bigger. And without the wizard and magical element, it is real. Or could be.





I've read these books almost three times in the last month, which is strange, even for me. Yet, I still can't get enough. Every time, I am moved beyond belief. Inspired. I truly am obsessed. I bought all the magazines, read dozens of interviews. I even sat four hours in line to get a good seat for the midnight premiere. I have to say, I was slightly disappointed in the screen play, but overall I was impressed. The casting was perfect, the acting superb. The main characters were portrayed to the best of their ability even if the script for the character left something to be desired, but I'll go into that another time. I could go on and on. For now, I'll just say...my compliments.





As for the disgusting comments made on Twitter about the actors who played the characters of Rue, Thresh and Cinna, I thought those three actors were wonderful, and FYI, the casting was spot on. People astound me. Why is it so hard to appreciate one another for our good attributes and who we are as people instead of condemning them for the color of their skin? One day, those who judge others based on their race are going to find themselves in a position where they are the minority. I can only hope that when that day comes, those same people are faced with others who can look beyond the color of their skin and treat them as equals, showing them that it's better to take the high road and hopefully giving them a look at what its like to be a decent human being. God willing, I'll be there to watch how the "mighty" will fall.

© Copyright 2013 C.N. Greer (UN: chelsea.greer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C.N. Greer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/795142-The-Hunger-Games