*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797083-Beating-a-Dead-Horse
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#797083 added November 6, 2013 at 11:41pm
Restrictions: None
Beating a Dead Horse
Today I worked on Zoom-Zoom, my sixty-sized model airplane. I accomplished some major repairs in the past month and the forward portion, that sustained most of the damage was bare plywood. After smoothing things out I covered it with a plastic product called Monocoat. This is a sheet of thin colored plastic sort of like Saran-Wrap but heavier. Once a piece is cut the adhesive backing is peeled off and the material placed over the bare wood. Then it is “shrunk” with a small hand held iron.

As I was working I thought about how craftsmen of old worked. At the present stage of my learning I would definitely be considered an apprentice. There are several good books that help explain all the myriad of tasks in the hobby. If I continue to improve I might promote myself to Journeyman. Who knows I might even reach the rank of “Master Craftsman” if I stick with it.

It all goes back to the Standard Deviation (SD) idea. One SD is 68% mastery (Apprentice.) Two SDs is Journey Man which is 95% mastery. Master Craftsman is 99% Mastery.

If someone really wants to stretch things they could compare this with the levels of writing, which are tactical, operational and strategic. Don’t worry… I don’t intend to beat that horse to death. *Bigsmile* At least not tonight. Yawn...

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797083-Beating-a-Dead-Horse