*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797318-Telling-the-Widow
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1928076
new novel working during writing 101
#797318 added November 9, 2013 at 1:21pm
Restrictions: None
Telling the Widow
Telling the Widow


Yancy knocks on the door of a dark house. A woman answers. She notices that Yancy was in uniform. “May I help you?” She asked.





        Yancy notices a young boy playing in the candle lit house. They had no electricity. “Mam, are you the wife of Greg?”





        She stepped onto the porch.





        The young boy ran to the door. “Momma, where are you going?”





        “ I am going to talk to these men on the porch. You go back to playing. I will be back in a minute.” She felt that this was something that Sammy did not need to hear, and she closed the door behind her.





        “Yes, I am.” She answered.





        “I am afraid that there has been an accident.” Yancy looked at the disheveled woman who was about to fall. He pulled a chair to catch her. She slip into it.





        “ What happened?”


     


        “ Greg was at the wrong place at the wrong time.” Yancy pauses he hated lying, but he had made a promise to a dying man. “He tried to stop someone from leaving the scene of a robbery. He told me to tell you and his son that he loves you while he died in my arms.”





        She begins to cry. “ Was he in pain?”





        “No mam, the bullet went through his heart, and I doubt that he felt pain. He died as soon as those words left his lips.” Yancy hands her a folded piece of paper. “ I have not read this, but it has your name on the out side. I thought that you should be the one to read it.”





        “Are you all right?” Yancy asks the lady.





        “ No, but I have to go on.” She wiped her tears, and opened the door. “ I will read this after Sammy goes to sleep.”  She looked at the folded paper again. “ I hope that he has the answers for his son.”





        Yancy watched the widow walk back into her house. He could hear a forced glee in her voice as she told her son that Daddy was a hero. Then went on, still trying to stop her voice from cracking. She told her son that Daddy would not be coming home. That he now lived with Grandfather who died last year.





        Yancy could not help but to cry. He knew what it felt like to loose a parent. He had lost both of his many years ago. He some how knew that he had to find a way to make sure that Sammy has a father figure in his life.





        Sammy tried to sleep, but he just could not see life without his father in his life. He knocked on his mother's door.





        “Momma,” he tip toes into the room.





        She wipes her eyes. “Yes, Sammy.”





        “Can I sleep with you tonight?”





        “Only tonight, my dear, we cannot change things.” She pulled back the covers. As her son crawled under them, she heard his stomach begging for food.





        “Are you hungry?” She asked.





        “No Mamma.”  He answered. He was used to being hungry, and he did not want his mother to worry.





        She reached to the night table and picked her piece of stale bread that she nibbled throughout the night. “ Here Sammy, I think that this will help.”





        Sammy ate the hard bread, and his stomach stopped growling. He was able to feel his mother's tears drip onto his hair until he fell asleep.








 
IMAGE
reviewer of month of march  (E)
came at the best time
#1926888 by Ida_Matilda_Wright Help






 dipolma  ()
I enjoyed this class
#1850294 by Ida_Matilda_Wright Help






 
IMAGE
Reviewing ribbon  (E)
I am so happy to have been granted this reward..
#1931330 by Ida_Matilda_Wright Help






My words are ways to leave peices of myself behind for my children
© Copyright 2013 Ida_Matilda_Wright Help (UN: writing_life at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ida_Matilda_Wright Help has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797318-Telling-the-Widow