*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797319-Sammy-as-a-Boy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1928076
new novel working during writing 101
#797319 added November 9, 2013 at 1:23pm
Restrictions: None
Sammy as a Boy
Sammy as a boy


Yancy passes his bed room window as he tucks white shirt into his gray uniform pants. He glances through the brown plaid curtains. Sammy is in the yard next door. He had been entertained many evening by the laughter and play of Sammy. His imagination was vivid. Sometimes Sammy was a super hero, a cook, a cowboy, and Yancy had to see what the boy was each day.





Yancy stops and watches Sammy play. He was dressed in his dad's old army boots and fishing hat covered with hooks. He was sitting on the mud in his mother's flower bed. He was digging up the soil. He filled the serving bowl with the dirt. Stirring it with his spoon. It was hard to hear what the child was singing from the window, but Sammy was gently rocking in a beat. Sammy poured the mud into a circle. He patted it, smooth it, and then pulled flower peddles to decorate it. What was this child going to do with his mud-cake?





Yancy knew that he needed to finish getting dressed for work, but he was hypnotized by wanting, no needing, to know what this little boy was up to.





Sammy then pulls a brightly colored jacket off the line. Then Yancy no longer could see him from the window. So Yancy continued to dress for work. He quickly pulled his gray uniform on. He placed his hat over his head as he leaves his home. He had already rubbed a special tree cerium so that it would re pale the rain during the wet season.





When reaching the corner of his yard, Yancy noticed Sammy. He and his best friend Rex was sitting together by the dog house.





Rex was five years old black mix breed. Greg had gotten him out of a bag in the river. He had seen the movement in the pillow case from the shore. Greg had to save whatever was in it. Greg brought the tiny ugly gray puppy to Sally. She was not happy to have a new puppy to raise while having a new infant. She fell in love with the dog and fed him milk from a bottle just as she did her son. Rex beat all odds and lived as a brother to Sammy.





“Sammy,” Yancy greets the child from the road. “What you and Rex up to?”





Sammy rolls the sleeves up on Rex's front legs. “It is Rex's birthday, and we are having a birthday party.”





“How old is Rex?” Yancy asked.


“He is five.” Sammy said as he actually fed Rex a big piece of the mud-cake iced by flower peddles. “We have a party every year. Would you like to attend this year.”





“Sure,” Yancy said as he walked up to the crate that was being used as a party table. He and Sammy sang happy birthday to Rex. Then Sammy serves Yancy his slice of cake. “I will wrap this up and eat it for lunch today.”





“You promise?” Young Sammy asks as he wraps the treat in a cloth, puts it in a paper bag, and reaches it to Yancy.





“Yes, I will unwrap it after lunch.” Yancy trying to pick words that would not be a lie.





“Here,” Sammy hands Yancy a piece of paper. “This is my menu.”





Yancy had taken Sammy to his first up-scale restaurant the day before. There Sammy got to order from the pictures on the kid's menu. His face beamed with pride as the waiter referred to the child as sir.





“Why thank you, Sir.” Yancy replies as he scans down the list of backward letters and miss-spelled words. Each letter on the page colorfully printed in a different crayon. “He must have used every one in the box,” Yancy thought.





Pisa





300 Dolars





Berfday kake





700 Dolars





2 pis





1 00 Dolars





Chekn





100 thalsand Dolars





Dog fud





2 dolars





“Looks like the prices are a little high.” Yancy said.





“No, it is fancy.” Sammy said.





“I will be back.” Yancy explains as he puts the menu into his pocket.





“Come again. I hope that you have a good day.” Sammy told Yancy mimicking what the waiter had told them as they had left the restaurant the night before.





“Thank you sir,”Yancy replies.





Then Sammy clears his throat. Yancy reaches into his pocket and gives his waiter a tip. He hands Sammy a dime, smiles, and walks away.





At the cross walk, one of the town's librarians, who wrote the restaurant reviews for the local news paper, stared at the paper bad that is now looking quite wet. “Looks a little greasy.” As she observed the unusual bag.





“This is lunch from the most natural restaurant in town.” He replied as his personality was having fun with the conversation.





“Really?” She seems interested.





“Yes, there is no grease or fats used in their food.” Yancy reaches into his pocket and brings out the colorful menu. “It is Sammy Joe's Place?”





“Whose?” Ms. Tina asks as she takes the paper. She looks at the words. She elbows Yancy. “You scamp! I thought that you had a new place that I had missed.”





He smiled as the light changed so that the two of them could cross the road. Three steps into the street, the bag breaks and the contents splatter into the asphalt. Yancy places the paper bag, now nothing than a damp paper ball, into his pocket. He continued on his way to the office.











 
IMAGE
reviewer of month of march  (E)
came at the best time
#1926888 by Ida_Matilda_Wright Help






 dipolma  ()
I enjoyed this class
#1850294 by Ida_Matilda_Wright Help






 
IMAGE
Reviewing ribbon  (E)
I am so happy to have been granted this reward..
#1931330 by Ida_Matilda_Wright Help






My words are ways to leave peices of myself behind for my children
© Copyright 2013 Ida_Matilda_Wright Help (UN: writing_life at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ida_Matilda_Wright Help has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/797319-Sammy-as-a-Boy