*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798646
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #1964095
The musical from 'Timmy'.
#798646 added November 24, 2013 at 6:31pm
Restrictions: None
Orphans on Broadway Part Four
ACT TWO: THE ROAD HOME.
Scene One: Young's mansion.


(lights on, center stage only.)

Later, Miss Annabelle and the two girls arrive at Young's mansion. (center stage.) Anna is at her side, as Penny hides behind her and Miss Annebelle, uncertain.
(front of mansion large, painted, moveable panel.)
(Miss Annabelle and girls have backs to audience.)
Miss Annebelle rings the bell. (sound heard off stage.) Presently, the door opens, revealing a tall, middle aged butler to the audience. He eyes Miss Annebelle and the two young ladies he is able to see with a neutral expression.

MAX:
(politely eyes Miss Annebelle and Anna.)
May I help you, ladies?

ANNABELLE:
Yes, good morning. I am Miss Annabelle Jean, guardian of the girls dorm at the lower Mannhattan community orphanage.

MAX:
(politely.)
And you are here because...?

ANNABELLE:
A small girl has been in our care for about two years now. It was not until this morning when we, that is Anna here, discovered her true identity.

(places a hand on Anna's shoulder.)

MAX:
(hopeful.)
Where is this little girl?

Shyly, Penny peeks out from behind Miss Annabelle and catches the butler's eye. Max and Penny let out a loud gasp as the two immediately recognize each other.

MAX:
(tearfully.)
Penny?

PENNY:
(running up to him.)
Max!

(moveable panel is lifted off scene- cable lift.)
(lights on right and left stage.)
(an elegantly decorated hall is revealed.)
(servants are moving in all directions.)
Max picks Penny up and spins her around as he carries her inside. Annabelle and Anna follow him into a grand hall (center stage) where Anna looks all around in awe. She is so overwhelmed by the size of the room that she does not notice that a number of servants are quickly gathering around to see what all the excitement is about until Max begins to speak.

MAX:
(finally putting Penny down.)
Everyone, everyone! May I introduce Miss Annabelle Jean and Anna.
(Motions to the two ladies.)
These fine ladies have come from lower Manhattan with joyous news. (He picks up Penny so everyone could see her.)
They have found our lost Penny!

Cheers rise from the servants as they all quickly gather around Penny, Miss Annabelle, and Anna. Max puts Penny back down and the servants celebrate their joy over Penny's return after two long years.

( WELCOME HOME )

(servant1)
Do you remember this place?
(Penny)
It's so strange to me.
(sevant2)
Feel free to roam, there is so much more for you to see.
This is your home.

How long has it been since you were taken away?
The waiting never seemed to end.
The kidnapers' car was found wrecked in a lawn,
They said you were gone.
And two years later, you return with a friend.

Your laughter used to fill every hall and corridor.
But with you gone, they seemed cold and alone.
Then suddenly you appear at our front door,
And we're happy to say, welcome home.

Kept preserved was your room.
Cleaned, and dusted with the greatest of care.
But it felt like a tomb, it only brought us gloom,
'cause you weren't there!

The years had brought your father to the edge.
He continued to search, but nothing was unearthed.
We never thought to look in an orphanage!

Your friends are the best as heroes go,
we're more grateful than we show.
Our Penny has turned up, we're no longer alone....
Welcome home!

After the number, Mr. Young enters the scene wondering what all of the noise is about. All of the servants begin to talk excitedly at once, making it impossible for Mr. Young to understand them.

THOMAS:
(raising his hands.)
Wait a minute! What is this all about!?!

Again all of the servants begin to talk at once until Max gives out a loud whistle, calling for silence.

MAX:
Mr. Young, allow me to introduce Miss Annabelle Jean from the lower Manhattan community orphanage and her friend, Anna.

Thomas turns to the two ladies but, upon catching Miss Annabelle's eye, he becomes speechless for a moment, captivated by the young woman's beauty. But, he manages to shake it off as he nods at them.

THOMAS:
It's a pleasure to meet you both.
(turns back to Max.)
Why are they here?

MAX:
(smiling.)
May I introduce the reason for Miss Annabelle's and Anna's visit and the reason for all of the excitement.
Max steps aside, revealing Penny standing nervously in the middle of the group, (center stage.)
MAX: (cont.)
Miss Penny Young.

Thomas freezes in astonishment and disbelief as the two stare at each other. After a long pause, he falls to his knees, his eyes swelling with tears.

THOMAS:
Is that really you, Penny?

PENNY:
(tearfully.)
Daddy?

Thomas opens his arms and Penny runs to him. Upon reaching him, they embrace each other in a long, tight hug.

THOMAS:
(tearfully.)
I thought I had lost you forever!

PENNY:
(crying.)
I thought you were dead, before I saw that missing person's poster!

THOMAS:
(looking her in the eye.)
Well, you're home now, at last. I will never let anything happen to you again!
(turns to Ace.)
That goes for you as well, young man! Come here and say hello to your little sister.

Thomas releases Penny and allows Ace to talk to her for a while as he turns to Miss Annabelle.

THOMAS:
How could I ever thank you, Miss Annabelle, for returning my precious daughter to me?

ANNABELLE:
(after a thought.)
The missing person's poster Anna brought to my attention mentioned a rather large reward.

THOMAS:
(smiling.)
It is still being offered.

ANNABELLE:
Well, could you make it out to the New York City welfare system in care of the orphanage? It is in bad need of new blankets and clothes for the children.

THOMAS:
(nods.)
Consider it done, Miss Annabelle. I will send the check with explicit instructions to carry out your wishes. But it all seems such a small reward for returning my daughter to me. (he sighs.) I just wish my wife had lived long enough to see this day.

PENNY:
(frightened.)
What do you mean?

THOMAS:
(sadly.)
I'm very sorry, Penny. My wife, your mother, died looking for you during last year's harsh winter. (he bows his head.) I swear I tried everything I could to save her but to no avail.
(he sighs again and turns to Miss Annabelle.)
I thought I had lost Penny forever, until you brought her back to me. On top of it all, you so closely resemble my beloved wife, you could almost pass as her twin. (he pauses.) If there is anything I can ever do for you...

ANNABELLE:
(hopeful.)
Well, now that you mention it, do you think you can find it in your heart to take one more orphan child under your wing?

(she places a hand on Anna's shoulder.)
Anna is deeply hurt. She tries to protest but she is interrupted by Thomas Young.

THOMAS:
I would be more than happy to take Anna into my care, Miss Annabelle. I know from experience that this mansion can seem very cold and empty at times. I do not worry about Ace, he has me to turn to but Penny has no mother now. I believe having a sister to turn to would be perfect for both Penny and Anna.

ANNABELLE:
Then it's settled. I shall entrust her with you while I return to lower Manhattan to get the paper work moving on her adoption.

Without another word, Miss Annabelle leaves the scene, (stage right,) hiding her tears.

THOMAS:
Max, I want you to make the mansion ready for the holidays, the best one ever. We will celebrate Penny's safe return home and Anna's adoption into the family with a big, early Christmas party tonight. Make the arrangements and invite the entire staff to attend.

MAX:
Yes, sir. It would be my pleasure.

As preparations are quickly made, Amanda stares at the door, (stage right.) then falls to her knees and turns towards the audience.

ANNA:
(tearfully, quietly.)
Mommy!... No!

( MOMMY )

Mommy!
Don't leave me alone tonight!
I thought I had found you,
But now I'm an orphan again.
What have I done to make you push me away?
Please mommy-
Be there for me!
Fortune and Fame!
Your love is worth the same!
We cried together.
Now we cry apart.
Please mommy!
Come back for me!
(spoken) Mommy...

(lights out, stage right, center, left.)

Scene Two: Celebration Party, Young's mansion.

(short intermission: lights on, stage right, center, left.)

The mansion is ready for the holidays and the entire staff is enjoying the early Christmas festivities. But Amanda, wearing a short, white dress, sits alone off the side, (stage left) drawing on a napkin with a fancy, gold plated pen. Penny, also wearing a short, elegant, white dress, (center stage) sees her sadness and excuses herself as she walks over to her.

PENNY:
Aren't you going to join the party, Anna? They put it together for you too, you know.

ANNA:
(sadly.)
I know, Penny. I'll join in a little while, okay?

(gives Penny a weak smile but she is not convinced.)

PENNY:
You're still thinking about Miss Annabelle, aren't you?

ANNA:
That's part of it, I guess. I mean how could see just walk away from me like that?

PENNY:
(sighs.)
I don't know. (shrugs.) she said she wanted you to have the best.

ANNA:
I never wanted the best. I just wanted a family. And when I finally find my mom, she abandons me again! (sighs tearfully.) I guess I'm going to have to face it. I don't have a family, I'm an orphan.

PENNY:
My dad said he would be happy to adopt you, Anna. You could have a family here, with me and my dad.

ANNA:
Thank you, Penny but this is not where I belong. I belong with my real mother and the kids back at the orphanage belong in a good home. And I'm going to make sure their adoption dreams come true, even if it takes me forever.

PENNY:
What are you hatching, Anna?

ANNA:
I'm going to make another batch of my posters and sneak out with them so I can hang them up all over upper Manhattan. That will increase the chance that someone will see them. And, when my mom, Miss Annabelle, comes to finalize my adoption, I'm going to confront her with the truth.

PENNY:
(shocked.)
You would throw all of this away for someone who abandoned you twice!?! Anna, think about it!

ANNA:
Penny, I know Miss Annabelle really loves me. I can't just turn my back on her, even if she thinks she can. I have to try to get her back one more time.

PENNY:
Why don't you ask my dad for help, I'm sure he could...

ANNA:
(interrupting.)
No, Penny. This is something I really have to see through to the end, on my own. Adoption dreams will come true for all of the boys and girls back at the orphanage.... Even if my dreams never do.

Amanda places the napkin and pen on a table and slowly walks away into the crowd. (center stage- exits right.) Penny watches her leave then picks up the napkin and looks at it. On the napkin is a drawing of the 'Where are the Orphans' poster she and Anna had hung up all around lower Manhattan only the poster includes a number of boys as well as girls. Surprised, Penny quickly spins around to find Anna but she is already lost in the crowd. Penny turns back to the drawing and cannot help but shed a tear as she stares at it.

PENNY:
(to herself.)
I wish I knew how to help her.

ALLEN:
(off stage.)
This is perfect!

MATT:
(off stage.)
What's the deal, Allen?

ALLEN:
(off stage.)
Penny is the daughter of the richest man in the country! He could very easily bring attention to the orphanage and we can finally get even with that no one low life Scheme!

PENNY:
It just might work.

She looks at the drawing for a moment longer then rushes off to find her father. She finds him in the middle of the room, (center stage.)

PENNY:
Dad, can I talk to you for a minute?

THOMAS:
Sure, Penny. What's on your mind?

PENNY:
It's Anna.

THOMAS:
(worried.)
What's wrong? Is she all right?

PENNY:
She's worried about the other kids at the orphanage. You see, she has been looking for her real family ever since she was able to understand that she was abandoned on the doorstep of the orphanage. Yesterday, she found her real mother. They had a tearful reunion but, in the end, she abandoned her again.

SERVANT 1:
(disgusted.)
That's simply horrible!

SERVANT 2:
Of all the nerve!

THOMAS:
Who is her real mother, Penny? Do you know her name?

PENNY:
(reluctantly.)
It- It's Miss Annabelle.

(The seventies gasp in disbelief and disgust.)

THOMAS:
But why? She told me Anna was an orphan.

PENNY:
Well, you see, Miss Annabelle once had a thing for the guardian of the boys dorm at the same orphanage but he dumped her the second Anna was born, he didn't want anything to do with her.

SERVANT 1:
Coward!

THOMAS:
Hush, all of you. (turns to Penny.) Go on, sweet heart.

PENNY:
Miss Annabelle knew that she would never be able to raise Anna properly so she changed her name to Anna Jane, an unknown orphan, with the hopes that someone would adopt her into a better home, like this one. The guardian of the boys dorm, Mr. Scheme, promised to keep her secret in exchange for not being charged with criminal abandonment.

SERVANT 2:
How do you know all of this?

PENNY:
I was there when Miss Annabelle explained it all.
(she gives her father the napkin.)
All of the girls at the orphanage got together and wrote a musical to try to bring attention to the orphanage. Anna made a number of posters, like the one she drew on this napkin. She and I hung them up all over lower Manhattan the night before to advertise our show, hoping it would bring people to the orphanage. That was when I found the missing person's poster with my picture on it.

THOMAS:
(confused.)
Miss Annabelle let you out of the orphanage?

PENNY:
Well, no. We kind of sneaked out with the orphan boys, disguised as one of them. Scheme sends them out every night to steal things that can be hocked on the street.

THOMAS:
I know that part, Ace has told me all about it. In fact, I wrote a musical about it, it will be hitting the Broadway stage soon, I hope.
(he pauses.)
Wait. You were with that group of boys I confronted last night?

PENNY:
(bows her head.)
I'm the one they were chasing. It was a plot to take money from you. You see, with two extra people, Mr. Scheme expected a larger load. Anna and I had to steal something so the boys wouldn't get in trouble. I- I'm sorry.

Penny begins to sob but Thomas lifts her chin up and winks at her.

THOMAS:
It took a lot of moxy to come clean with me, Penny. I'm very proud of you.

PENNY:
(sniffling.)
Oh, dad, Anna so much wants to get her mother back and to help the kids back at the orphanage. She's willing to risk it all to make all the orphan's dreams come true, but she doesn't want to ask for help.

THOMAS:
Then we shall help her, only we won't tell her about it.
(turns to a servant.)
Where is Anna?

SERVANT 2:
She has excused herself from the party and has retired to her bedroom, sir.

PENNY:
She told me that she was going to make another batch of posters and sneak out with them to hang them up all around upper Manhattan.

THOMAS:
That means she will be up there for quite some time. Good, that will give us the time to prepare our little surprise.

MAX:
What do you have in mind, sir?

THOMAS:
Do you happen to have a copy of that short musical you and the other girls wrote, Penny?

PENNY:
(confused.)
Yes. It's up satairs, in my room.

THOMAS:
(turns to Max.)
Max, I want you to retrieve the musical script from Penny's room and have my writers add it to the musical about to go on Broadway.

MAX:
(surprised.)
But sir, do you think there will be enough time for the performers to learn all of the new lines in time for first curtain?

THOMAS:
(smiles.)
The orphan children will be performing the roles of the orphans, Max.
PENNY:
(surprised and excited.)
You are going to put our musical on Broadway!?!

THOMAS:
(winks at Penny.)
Why not?
(turns to Max.)
Have my secretaries call the press and inform them that I will be sponsoring a musical, written and performed by orphans. Have them also inform the press that I shall be inviting the young orphan performers from the lower Manhattan community orphanage to live with me inside my mansion until they are adopted into good homes as a grand gesture of my gratitude for returning my only daughter to me. I will be leaving shortly to make all of the arrangements with the two guardians of the orphanage and with the New York City board of orphans.

PENNY:
(fearful.)
Are you going to tell Miss Annabelle that you know about Anna?

THOMAS:
Don't worry, Penny. I have a plan that might solve that problem; you just leave everything to me.
(turns back to Max.)
See that it is done.

MAX:
Right away, sir.

THOMAS:
(giving napkin to Servant 1.)
Samuel, I want you to have my artists copy this drawing on a number of posters so that they may be hung up everywhere in New York.

SERVANT 1:
Yes, sir.

THOMAS:
(turning to Servant 2.)
Fredrick, go with Samuel. I want to see that poster on the front page of every paper tomorrow morning.

SERVANT 2:
I'm on it, sir.

THOMAS:
(turning to a young woman.)
Susan!

HEAD HOUSEKEEPER:
Yes, Mr. Young?

THOMAS:
I want you to rally all of the maids together an prepare, er....

PENNY:
Eleven, father.

THOMAS:
(looks at Penny.)
Yes. Thank you Penny.
(turns back to Susan.)
Eleven extra guest rooms. Tomorrow, we will be making the dreams of a few orphans come true. Oh, and see Penny off to bed. It is going to be a very busy day for her tomorrow.

HEAD HOUSEKEEPER:
Right away, Mr. Young.
(turns to Penny.)
Come, my dear. You can help me rally the maids.

THOMAS:
Everyone, I do not want Anna to know any of this. Is that clear?
(all of the servants nod.)
Good, let's get to work then.

(Thomas leaves the scene stage left.)

The servants move quickly and quietly, preparing the mansion ready for eleven young orphans for a long stay.

PENNY:
(happily.)
I think Anna is going to like this surprise.

( ORPHANS ON BROADWAY )

Orphans on Broadway
Singing for all of their worth
Praying they will get adopted
A loving family is their haven on Earth.
Orphans on Broadway
Dancing on the stage floor
Performing before an audience
Hoping it will be them that they will adore.
Orphans on Broadway
Wanting neither fortune or fame
Only wanting a home
Only wishing for a last name.
Orphans on Broadway
Taking their final bow;
A boy and girl needing a home
Will you please adopt one now!


(lights out, stage right, center, left.)
© Copyright 2013 Scifiwizard Retired (UN: scilock at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scifiwizard Retired has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798646