*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799003-The-Time-To-Be-Grateful
Rated: E · Book · Entertainment · #1932477
It is a waste to ignore the musings of the mind.
#799003 added November 30, 2013 at 1:36am
Restrictions: None
The Time To Be Grateful
Thanksgiving by itself or literally means give thanks. Why do we give thanks? When do we give thanks. How do we give thanks? Where do we give thanks?

Why do we give thanks? Because we have received something; a gift/present perhaps? Whether or not we like the gift we have a sense of obligation to thank the person who gave us the gift - for taking the time to select a gift that the giver thinks we would appreciate.

When do we give thanks? At the time the gift is given to us, of course. In addition, we should send a card to the giver, with a few words that would express our gratitude for the gift.

How do we give thanks? Through words by mouth or by email or by snail mail, naturally.

Where do we give thanks? Right at the spot where we receive our gift - especially when the giver is presenting the gift to us. A hug or a kiss on the cheek will be most appreciated by the giver.

Who do we give thanks to? The giver, of course. But just wait a second.

How did thanksgiving become a yearly holiday? Many, many years ago people learned to put aside a certain day in the calendar because they have received blessings in the form of a good harvest; for the return of a prodigal son/daughter; for the goodness of neighbors who are aware of the poverty that a neighbor is going through; for coming out of a violent storm/earthquake alive and well, safe from physical harm; for family getting together who have been separated by land and sea; and most especially, for the blessings of peace without wars, violence, hatred, injury.

That I believe is the true sense of thanksgiving.




© Copyright 2013 elephantsealer (UN: liliapadwes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
elephantsealer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799003-The-Time-To-Be-Grateful