*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799822-Note-to-Brian-Tome
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1910923
Looks like I may have a ton of these, so this is collection 1 of Reflections
#799822 added December 9, 2013 at 3:28pm
Restrictions: None
Note to Brian Tome
To Brian:

Hello,
During The Promise of Freedom speech you referenced JK Rowling's newest book The Cuckoos Calling, that she published under a different name.

I understood your sentiment that perhaps it was done partially in ego as "I don't want help," but I'm wondering how strongly you believe this. I think the question is foremost in my mind because I'm a tech writer by trade and aspiring creative writer. As such I completely understand Rowlings sentiment and viewed her decision to use a pseudo name more as an act of humility in that she did not want to be 'showy' and rely on the success of her other book. Basically, she didn't want a ton of 'yes-readers' (read as 'yes-men') that automatically say you're great even if they think your current book sucks.

I think I'm most curious about your thought process because I imagine there are/were much more obvious and less ambiguous examples of egotism available, which makes me wonder how strong a perceived ego JK is throwing out there. Another reason this is probably stuck on my brain is because after watching the documentary A Year In The Life I found that I relate emotionally with this author on a ton of levels when I initially found her to be cold and aloof. Consequently, if I identify with her and you perceive her in such a way I want to know the cause because I would like to avoid such misgivings in my own life.

120913 @11:38am

In response to a JK reference he made during The Promise of Freedom Tuesday, December 3, 2013 @19:40/33:59 (Unpolished reference @17:35/33:59)
https://www.crossroads.net/my/media/playVideo.php&idMedia=2326

© Copyright 2013 A*Monaing*Faith (UN: afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
A*Monaing*Faith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799822-Note-to-Brian-Tome