*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/804062-My-Introduction-Style
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#804062 added January 21, 2014 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
My Introduction Style
Day 429: Tuesday, January 21st, 2014, the writing prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum on National Hugging Day *Heart* is
When you are introduced to be people do you hug, shake hands, nod your head or just verbally acknowledge the other person?
What's your style? Does it make a difference who the introduction is too?

My introduction style depends upon the person I'm being introduced to because I like to respond to that person's introduction style. If I'm being introduced to another Baha'i, and that person hugs the Baha'i he or she is being introduced to, then I hug. If I'm being introduced to a friend of a sibling, and that person's style is to hug the siblings of their friends, then I hug the person in return. Otherwise I either shake hands. nod, or respond verbally depending on the other person's acknowledgment of the introduction.

Over the years, I have found that people are most comfortable with responses that are similar to their own introduction style. As to which style I would prefer and am most comfortable with that depends on whether it's a business or social situation. In a business situation, I would prefer either a verbal or a head nod response because of the way some business people shake hands. I like the firm, but not too tight handshake; unfortunately, the handshake method of numerous business people is either too firm or too wishy-washy. A too firm or overpowering handshake indicates the person wants to sell you something whether you want to buy it or not, while the other type of handshake indicates the person isn't confident about the product or service he or she is selling. True, there may be physical or medical reasons for the wishy-washy handshake, but that isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

In a social situation, it depends on the gathering and the type of refreshments being served. I'm a none drinker, so if I'm at a party where liquor is being served (a rare occurrence) I prefer a verbal acknowledgment or a hug because these types of acknowledgments give me an indication of how much alcohol the person has consumed and I can avoid him or her later. I should note here that male drunks have more of a tendency to hug a strange woman when first introduced then when those same men are sober. I like to know who I have to avoid at parties where alcohol is being served. In the social gatherings I normally attend (where no alcohol is being served) I prefer to respond to the other person's introduction style.

Thought of the Day: "Only truthful hands write true poems. I cannot see any basic difference between a handshake and a poem." - Paul Celan

© Copyright 2014 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/804062-My-Introduction-Style