*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806217-The-Forgotten-IllusionsNew-Ones-Emerge
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#806217 added February 7, 2014 at 2:18pm
Restrictions: None
The Forgotten Illusions...New Ones Emerge
Now that I'm back in Belize, I know that many people out in the world say, "Where's that?" They sort of know that Mexico is south of Texas, but that's about all.

Way back in the 1700's, Spain claimed all the land, but allowed the British to cut Logwood off and on for many years.  Then in 1798, the Spanish attacked the settlement of Belize. The loggers, called Baymen, fought back. With the help of their slaves from Africa, they defeated the Spanish for the last time in the Battle of St. George's Caye.  The Spanish retreated and never again tried to control Belize.

The Mayans, however, did not give up. They were blocking the lucrative Mahogany business so the British were determined to drive them out. In 1867, the British Governor ruled that "No Indians will be at liberty to reside upon or occupy or cultivate any land without previous payment or engagement to pay rent whether to the Crown or the owner of the land".

Refugees from the United States Civil War were encouraged to settle in Belize and farm. The British sent more troops and weapons, went into Maya villages and burnt their houses and fields. Their intention was to drive the Maya out by destroying their food supplies. The Maya, who had farmed the interior of Belize for hundreds of years, were forced off their land.

There's more about the Maya and the history of the slaves and their fight. Change the names and places...add high-tech weapons and the story is the same...including the intention.

From this, I say, they (we) never learn. Look around the world today. Hear the screaming echoes of the past. Can you hear them?

Until later, >>>iggy# 
          ** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2014 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806217-The-Forgotten-IllusionsNew-Ones-Emerge