*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806552-Generation-Gaps
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#806552 added February 13, 2014 at 3:39am
Restrictions: None
Generation Gaps
Today is the forty-third anniversary of my maternal grandmother's passing. *Shock* I always remember the date and as I was twenty when both my grandparents died, I do have many fond and precious memories of them both. I guess I'm lucky in that respect. Not so fortunate with my father's parents who I have no memories of at all. My grandma in St Louis died before my first birthday and then my parents brought us back to England so I don't remember my Pop either. I used to write to him as a child, but sadly didn't keep the letters he sent. *Cry*

My English grandmother was a very sweet and attractive lady, always smart and feminine. I remember her baking and gardening and she taught both my sister and myself how to knit, along with other creative skills.

My son is lucky too in that he kept both his grandmothers into adulthood. Hubby's Mum died last year, aged ninety-nine, so he will have a lot of memories of her to savour. A very upstanding, straight laced and kind lady, who treated her friends and family well. My own mother was more eccentric and unconventional, but he will always smile when he recalls her and some of the funny family anecdotes. He won't forget the teddy bear's picnics they used to indulge in when he was a child or the many places we visited with her.

Yesterday after the family had visited, I started thinking about my own status as a grandma. Without sounding morbid I always say whatever happens I hope they'll remember me. I think Angel and Dylan probably would now, but then along comes Bobby and I have to hang in there hopefully to make sure he will too.

The older two decided they wanted to play on my Wii yesterday, so after a few gentle games, Dylan decided to challenge his Nanna to a boxing match on Wii Sports. Angel departed to play snakes and ladders with granddad.

I wonder if in future years Dylan will think about it and say…

"Oh yes, I remember my Nanna. I used to punch her lights out at boxing.'

Times certainly change don't they?

© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806552-Generation-Gaps