*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807210-Got-my-mind-on-the-road-and-yo-its-time-to-go
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#807210 added February 15, 2014 at 7:43pm
Restrictions: None
Got my mind on the road and yo it's time to go!
** Image ID #1970900 Unavailable **



DAY 15

Song: "Mind on the Road"
Artist: Reverend Run
Album: Distortion (2005)






Run D.M.C. will forever be one of my favorite hip-hop groups, but the song I chose for today's entry is Reverend Run's first single from his solo album after the passing of Jam Master Jay. There's no question that Run D.M.C. has had a huge impact on the world of hip-hop music, and I've always been fascinated by Reverend Run who, in addition to being a rapper, actually is also a practicing minister and the brother of Russell Simmons, the co-founder of Def Jam Records.

"Mind on the Road" uses a sample of Joan Jett's classic "I Love Rock 'n Roll" and continued the tradition of these artists using samples or creating covers of other artists' work (Run D.M.C. covered Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" more than a decade before). I was excited for this album to be released, even more so since it was supposed to come out in 2003 and was delayed for two years.

This song has so much energy and momentum... it's a regular feature on my "work out" playlists even almost a decade later. Anytime I want to get pumped up and really feel like rocking out, this is one of the songs I'll put on.

© Copyright 2014 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807210-Got-my-mind-on-the-road-and-yo-its-time-to-go