*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807300-Interior-or-Submerged-Dialog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#807300 added February 16, 2014 at 8:56pm
Restrictions: None
Interior or Submerged Dialog
In real life "Me" is the central character of my life. I know what I think and can hear what I say. I don't always say what I think because there are times when I feel a need to be sensitive to feelings of others. Often in conversations with my wife and friends I wonder how much they are saying is pure truth and how much is a defense mechanism designed to put their behavior or what is happening around them in the best possible light.

As a writer we have a unique opportunity. We can record a conversation between two characters and get into the mind of the central character and show their thoughts parallel to what they are saying. This is a powerful tool that often goes unused, is used sparingly or is added as an afterthought. If you think about a telephone conversation there is probably three times as much thought as there are words of expression passing between the two parties. If you add to that tone of voice and body language, the words themselves are but a part, albeit an important part, of the exchange of communications. Anyway, I'm trying to develop this aspect of what we think and what we say in the class I'm taking.

The next time you are writing a short story try going heavy on the interior or submerged dialog and see if you like the results of what you come up with.

© Copyright 2014 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807300-Interior-or-Submerged-Dialog