*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807453-Lux-Aeterna
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#807453 added February 18, 2014 at 5:02am
Restrictions: None
Lux Aeterna
** Image ID #1970900 Unavailable **



DAY 17

Song: "Lux Aeterna"
Artist: Clint Mansell
Album: Requiem for a Dream Soundtrack (2000)






Chances are, you're familiar with this composition even if you don't recognize it by name because, well, it's been in just about every suspenseful movie trailer, TV spot, and advertisement ever over the past several years. Originally composed by Clint Mansell for the soundtrack to Requiem for a Dream (2000), this song has been featured in trailers and/or TV spots for many, many other films including but not limited to: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Sunshine, The Da Vinci Code, Zathura, King Arthur, Troy, and several others.

I love this composition. It's creepy and tense and elegant all at the same time. It's easy to see why it would appeal to someone trying to set a dynamic scene of conflict to it, although the best use of the song by far is video editor Harry Hanrahan's homage to a great actor, titled simply, "Nicolas Cage Losing His Shit." Presented for your enjoyment below:



If you have the time, in addition to checking out Clint Mansell's body of other works (he was nominated for a Golden Globe for his score on The Fountain, and for a Grammy for his score on Black Swan), it's worth your time to check out Harry Hanrahan's body of work as well. He's known for creating amusing compilations like the Nicolas Cage video. Some of his more popular creations are a megamix of various actors saying, "It's showtime!" in movies, as well as one for another popular phrase "Get out of there!" and even another actor-specific compilation in the form of "Julianne Moore Loves to Cry." I know it's a little biased to take select scenes from an entire body of work... but it's kind of fascinating too. *Smile*

© Copyright 2014 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807453-Lux-Aeterna