*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807957-Throw-on-your-brake-lights-were-in-the-city-of-wonder
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#807957 added February 23, 2014 at 1:21pm
Restrictions: None
Throw on your brake lights, we're in the city of wonder
** Image ID #1970900 Unavailable **



DAY 22

Song: "Disturbia"
Artist: Rihanna
Album: Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded (2008)






This song single-handedly fueled my horror writing for the better part of a year. I remember this was still at the point where Rihanna was considered another traditional pop star, and a song (and video) this dark really took people by surprise. Oh, if only they knew what was in store for them two years later when Rihanna would release "S&M" ... *Laugh*

I love the haunting quality of this song; the industrial beat and her melodic lyrics... it's just such a delightfully creepy song, it was a major inspiration for me whenever I wanted to write something darker and needed to tap into that part of my psyche that I usually keep locked away in the presence of company. *Smirk*

The song was actually developed with then-boyfriend Chris Brown (and we all know how that worked out *Rolleyes*), and debuted as part of a re-release of one of her earlier albums. I like a lot of Rihanna's songs, but I think this one will always be my favorite because it was such a significant part of my writing in the years where I was trying to branch out and learn how to write some much darker, more sinister stuff than I had in the past.

© Copyright 2014 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807957-Throw-on-your-brake-lights-were-in-the-city-of-wonder