*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809466-Hanging-Onto-Your-Voice
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#809466 added March 8, 2014 at 10:41pm
Restrictions: None
Hanging Onto Your Voice
Today I finished my HSP Romantica class. I put all the six vignettes together in a sequence and read it to experience the cumulative effect of what I’d written. I was hoping it would suggest something more, like a springboard into the universe of a bigger and more interesting story. Unfortunately it didn’t.

What it did show was an effort to experiment with some new ideas I got to try out. So it wasn’t everything I was hoping for but it was a useful exercise. My wife read it and gave me a Romance Novel with several chapters that accomplished much the same thing I was trying to achieve but with much skill and elegance.

I finished the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. It had an ending I hadn’t anticipated. Given all the foreshadowing maybe I should have.

I’m the first to tip my hat to and acknowledge the talent of other writers and who can argue with success. However, I simply don’t write quite like others do and that’s OK. I like the way I write and while I’m always seeking ways to improve they have to be ways that result in crafting something I like to read. I can’t imagine wanting to write like some of the other writers I read because it isn’t my voice. For better or worse I’m trapped in the voice I have and while I struggle to refine it and make it more effective I don’t want to change the fundamental tone of the writer I’ve become.

© Copyright 2014 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809466-Hanging-Onto-Your-Voice