*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/810286-Spring-Break-Limerick--Sherlock
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#810286 added March 16, 2014 at 2:53am
Restrictions: None
Spring Break Limerick & Sherlock
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus


PROMPT: Spring Break


As I mentioned in blog post earlier this year, I'm really trying to write more poetry. It's a form of writing I've avoided for a long time, mostly because I have very little experience with or expertise in it. That said, I suppose a "Creation Saturday" prompt is the perfect time to give it a try, so I humbly submit, for your reading enjoyment, the following limerick:

         A friend trying to shake me awake
         When he did, my head started to ache
         I rose and then I froze
         'Cuz I'm missing my clothes
         I swear, this is my final Spring Break!


I still have a hard time with emphatic syllables and the nuances of structure, but hopefully this little limerick puts a smile on your face and at least adheres to the basic conventions (lines, syllables, rhyme scheme) for a limerick. *Wink*



--------------------------------------------------


Welcome to Talent Pond's Blog Harbor. The safe place for bloggers to connect.


PROMPT: Which character of which television show would you most like to see a spinoff series about (i.e. a show specifically about that character... examples include FRASIER who was originally a character on CHEERS, JOEY who was originally a character on FRIENDS, and PRIVATE PRACTICE which followed a character that originally starred in GREY'S ANATOMY)?





This is a difficult prompt for me because it implies that (a) it's a character worth having an entire show center around, and (b) that character doesn't already get a significant amount of time dedicated to them in their current show. For example, I'm fascinated by Saul Berenson in HOMELAND, but that show is kind of as much about him as it is about Carrie, so I'd be more inclined to want to see a show about Quinn, a great addition to the show that has a whole life and career that we really don't know much about.

The show I picked for this prompt was SHERLOCK, because there's actually two characters for which I'd love to see a spinoff series: Moriarty and Irene Adler. I think the premise of Moriarty as a "consulting criminal" (to contrast with Sherlock as a "consulting detective") is brilliant, and I think it'd be amazing to see what kinds of crimes and schemes Moriarty undertakes during his ascension to power. Andrew Scott does a positively exceptional and chilling interpretation of Moriarty, and it's one I wouldn't mind seeing expand out on its own. Irene Adler, similarly, is captivating and unique in the way she's presented, as a dominatrix who gives out "recreational scoldings" and acquires blackmail information on prominent clients. For anyone who's seen the first and second series of SHERLOCK, I'm sure they can appreciate the way Irene Adler makes an entrance and an impression on Sherlock and Watson! *Laugh*

There are a lot of shows with great supporting characters, but it can be difficult to find one that's the right mix between being worth having their own show and not already being featured heavily in their existing one. In the case of SHERLOCK, I think there are two characters worth the "star treatment," but let's be honest... that show is also pretty freakin' sensational just the way it is. *Wink*

© Copyright 2014 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/810286-Spring-Break-Limerick--Sherlock