*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/814207-No-you-do-not-have-a-right-to-your-opinion
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#814207 added April 18, 2014 at 11:22am
Restrictions: None
No, you do not have a right to your opinion
http://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

I followed this link to find out why I'm not entitled to my opinion.  This was a very deep subject and I'm not sure I understand it all.

The thought brought forth in one aspect, is that some opinions are based on outdated information or ideas. In that perspective. The argument becomes a moot point, but the one with the outdated information or perspective is backed into the proverbial corner and says "Its my opinion and I have the right to defend it."  You may think so, but I no longer wish to debate the issue, nor am I under any obligation to agree with you since your argument is obsolete.

The news media today will pick a political issue whether its a medical point, economical or even environmental side and beat it to death. Whomever is representing the side they think will garner the most viewers to boost their rating, that is the side they will promote. Every little opinion, no matter how ignorant, outdated, obsolete or defunct it is,will be given air time. The media will set the person or group representing that idea in front of a camera and let them spout their drivel as if it were a viable arguable position.

If someone comes with an opposing position, they are given a one to two minute spot and then its on with the next item on the agenda.  It is then the media will say the dreaded words, "That's your opinion."  Even if both sides have equal data to back their belief, the media will slant the discussion to the side they want to "win."

We have seen this in the Presidential debates. We've seen this happen in the congress and then it trickles down to our local media stations and newspapers.  What about blogging and our journals?  Do you find yourself touting  and idea or perception, then having to defend it?  At what point are you willing to accept the fact that your information may be outdated? facts have changed? perceptions altered? Will you defend an idea no matter what? Are you willing to research your conviction for new data? At some point you need to be able to back away and either keep your conviction to yourself or have the ammunition to defend it. Not your opinion, but your defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion#Legal_opinion  My daughter works for Thomson-reuters in MN. (This company was once West Publishing and is one of the largest publisher of law books. You will see their distinctive spines on bookshelves in movies and commercials)  I called her to ask what an "opinion" was. She said there were different kinds. I looked them up and found it to be true. If you take the time to read what a legal and judicial opinion is, you will find they differ.  This link had a number of sites to visit. After looking at some of them, I found the "opinion" of these sites followed the same format as I wrote.

Your opinion on a personal subject and the right to defend it is shown in the cartoon link below. I found it interesting.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png 

There is one area that is sometimes labeled as an "opinion." This is the area of testimony. Personal testimony in a court of law will be challenged. You all know there are witnesses who swear something to be true, but when faced with irrefutable facts, their "perception" is challenged. Can their testimony hold up in court?  They have an opinion on what happened, but in court only the facts will be in evidence. 

After reading the links, I'm thinking that freedom of speech and and the right to your opinion in this case may fall under the same heading. 

Have a thoughtful, insightful Good Friday.



© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/814207-No-you-do-not-have-a-right-to-your-opinion