*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/815108-Its-Great-to-be-Alive
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #1976943
Writings about death, relationships, feelings, and time
#815108 added April 29, 2014 at 12:28pm
Restrictions: None
It's Great to be Alive
It's great to be Alive

Waking up is magic.  That first moment when you crawl out of the fog called sleep, begin to stir, and know that you have been given another day.  It is just like magic.  There is a glow.  An awakening.  Satisfaction and a whole lot more wrapped up in just waking up.

First words today, were "Thank you Lord for yet another day."  Maybe not a prayer, but a gratefulness so full of thanks that there just aren't any other words that could express my love and thankfulness to God for another opportunity to give back.  God presents these opportunities every day, but we do not always take them.  In fact, yesterday, I just wanted to lay around in my bed and do absolutely nothing, but opportunity knocked.

Yesterday was also a fantastic day.  I drug myself out of bed with less than a half an enthusiasm.  In fact, I thought I would just stay in bed all day long.  Then my son called and said "Old lady, what are you doing today?"  I said nothing much.  I will probably stay in bed all day.  He laughed and said, "Why don't you get up and come out and support the YWCA today."  They are having a cookout, and lots of activities for the kids.  I will be the DJ."  Laughing out loud, I said, I guess I am really going to stay in my bed now.  He said just before hanging up, "It is 8:30am.  The affair starts at 10:00am and ends at 2:00pm.  Hope to see you there."

With no intentions of going, I got up, made my morning stop to the bathroom, checked the clock, and walked back into the kitchen and saw the mail on the kitchen counter.  I immediately recognized the envelope from the State, and a big smile lit up my face.  Oh my gosh, I got a refund!  Oh my gosh, I got a check.  Money.  Money.  Thank you Lord, I got some money today.  I'm up.  I'm on it, got to get to the bank. 

Called one of my daughters and said I will be over very shortly.  I have a present for you.  Called my grandson, and did the same.  Called my daughter in North Carolina, but got no answer.  A dent in my joy, but not a prolonged drawn out one.  I would call her later.  Off to the bank.  Got the check cashed, and kept on driving over to my daughter's.  She was home and I presented her with an envelope from the bank.  The smile on her face made my day.    I was so thankful and so happy that I could do something for her today, and her smile made it all worth it.  Besides, I got to see my granddaughter and my great-grandson, who ended up climbing in the car with me to spend the weekend.

Together, my great-grandson and I went to the YWCA, and he had an awesome time with his cousins and the other children running and playing and just being children.  I had a wonderful time as my son proudly announced that his Mother had arrived, and everyone made me feel so welcome and so happy that I had come.

All an all yesterday was a great day, but not like this morning when I climbed out of bed with nothing on my mind but giving thanks to God for just another day.  Have you ever thought about the gift of waking up, clothed in your right mind, breathing fresh air, getting out of bed, walking to the bathroom, looking out the window, seeing the birds and trees in full bloom, and just knowing that it could have been the other way.  I am so grateful for each day God gives me, but today is special for I know that He still loves me enough to give me another opportunity to be a blessing to someone else.

Have a blessed and wonderful day.  Watch out for me, I just might be on my way to your neighborhood!

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 G. B. Williams (UN: mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
G. B. Williams has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/815108-Its-Great-to-be-Alive