*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/815606-New-Interests
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#815606 added May 9, 2014 at 12:30pm
Restrictions: None
New Interests
I enjoyed the writing group this week. My assignments were well received and I found the discussion and tasks in the class interesting. I don't think I'll learn anything new or be inspired to write a blockbuster, but it makes a pleasant change and the people in the group are good company on the whole. I have given a few nicknames already as is my habit. I don't mean any harm by it, but can't stop myself from observing traits in others. Don't worry, I have plenty of names for myself too and very few are complimentary.

So far there's Mr Factuality who is a newspaper columnist. He has a wry sense of humour, but finds it difficult to write creatively. Mr Hesitant, who has an awful lot to say, but cannot string a sentence together without a series of interjections. Mrs Fantasy is the obsessive Science Fiction writer and Miss Quiver the nervous one in the group. There's no homework this week sadly, but I shall use my spare time on my new hobby hopefully which is Geocaching.

I'm a member of a bird protection society and last week I received a catalogue of their products. While glancing through it I noticed an item called a geocache bundle at over a hundred pounds. Not having a clue what it was I was intrigued so googled it and became fascinated. Apparently, since the release by the military of GPS systems in the year 2000, people have been making and hiding caches all over the world. There are now two million of them and it's a geocachers job to find and sign them, then report back to the website. And no expensive devices are necessary for the amateur. Just a mobile phone with a GPS system and a free App. I've discovered three around where I live this week and am hooked. It's a bit like treasure hunting with no treasure, but rewarding and good exercise if you're a walker like me. There's a lot more innovative things going on and the website is a delight.

It's never too late to take up a new hobby and I think all the muggles out there should give it a try. You see, it even introduces new words as I discovered a muggle is a person who does not geocache. I have a feeling the writing and the geocaching may link together somewhere in the near future. I said I needed inspiration and more exercise, so maybe this is part of the answer.


© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/815606-New-Interests