*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/818044-Tuesday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#818044 added May 28, 2014 at 12:12am
Restrictions: None
Tuesday
Another month about over; time slips past faster and faster it seems. Of course the fact that winter just would not end and now we are sitting in 80 degree weather with thunder storms booming around us doesn't help. A nice spring to refresh ourselves after a long winter would have been nice, but again it seems we will have to go without. This seems to make the seasons pass faster, since we completely bypassed one.

With the end of the month we also lose one of our guards who is taking a different job. He had a lot of potential, but for some reason just did not take his job serious. He did a good job, but could have done a lot better had he devoted himself to his work. He was also unreliable about getting to work, the weather was the biggest issue, and of course, the fact that he just did not put his job as a priority. All in all, he did alright, but the biggest issue with him leaving is just not having enough people on staff to cover all the hours.

Of course, it doesn't help that even as I lose one person, another puts in for some time off. Again, it's one of them things with a person who just doesn't put anything into the job. I don't understand it, but that's the problem I'm seeing with another guard, too. So, the one who is leaving did a good job and I wouldn't mind him staying on, but he did need to put more of a priority to his job.

The other one just doesn't seem to care at all. He comes in late, he can't follow simple dress codes, and talking to him just doesn't seem to make any difference. So, why can't it be the one that's creating the biggest problem is the one leaving? Instead I lose a person who does a good job and keep one who doesn't. That seems to be the way it goes, though. So, now we are looking to hire a replacement for the one leaving, and it's looking like I will be hiring another for the one who just can't put any effort into correcting some problems. One resigns and the other will end up having hours cut down until he up and quits. But, right now I will be hopeful. Not a lot, since I just gave a verbal warning on Monday and had to tell him to tuck his shirt in today.

Today was a nice day, sunny and warm, in the 80's. I had the day off, but had to hack out a schedule for the next month that would work with everyone. It's done and I took it in, went over it with the guys and posted it. I'm not sure I'm happy with it, since it puts a lot of hours on me and Rhonda, requires me to bounce all over the shifts, and I may end up putting in hours off the clock to make it work, but it gives the night guard his suggested hours. He's a good kid, works hard and does a great job. He just doesn't like to work more than he has to.

When hired, he asked for twenty hours a week, no more, and no less. As long as he gets them, and works the evening shift, he's fine, but he just doesn't want to work any more than that. He will, reluctantly, but he makes it known he wants his hours back to twenty as soon as it's possible. The other guy, well he put in for some time off, and I was hoping that if he got it, he may put more effort into his work. It's not looking good as of today, but I will still be hopeful that he will shape up. If not, I guess I'll have to give a written warning and once we get someone hired, maybe cut his back to show him if he doesn't shape up, he won't work.

I don't like to have to push, but then, I don't like to have to babysit someone, either. I can be patient for so long, but this is getting to be a bit longer than anyone should require, and the fact that he puts on a good show while I'm around, but if I show up unexpected, he's busted for the same stuff shows me it's not that he doesn't get it, it tells me he don't want to.  I'll hope, but at the same time, it's looking like we have a bad apple in the mix, and I may need to throw this one out.

© Copyright 2014 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/818044-Tuesday