*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817966-Monday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#817966 added May 26, 2014 at 11:01pm
Restrictions: None
Monday
Well then, here it is; my entry for Monday, May 26, 2014. It's Memorial Day, a day to honor soldiers who gave their lives for freedom. Sure, it's an American holiday, but in a way, it's far more. Consider how many of our soldiers fought and died over seas, for the people of other countries. Think how many foreign people died fighting the same tyranny. I'm speaking mostly of two world wars, but there are so many conflicts through history that had peoples of different nationalities joining together for a common cause -- freedom. And, the count of those who died fighting for the precious ideal of freedom does not end with military personnel, no there are also many civilians who assisted in various roles who were martyred for freedoms call. Finally, let us never forget the victims, for every time tyranny, strikes, countless numbers of innocent victems are put to death because they opposed, or even refused to support this vicious beast.  Therefore, on this American holiday, I say to the worlds brave who fought and died for freedoms sake, you are remembered on this Memorial Day, and your families also are given thanks for the cost they bear for your role in freedom.

It's unfortunate that with time the reason for so many holidays fades into the background and the commercialization of the occasion seems more the reason than anything. But, that's the freedom for which so many fought and died. But, I don't think it's wrong for people to want to make money; in fact, I see it as a natural part of living. After all, isn't that a basic ingredient to freedom? You know, "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

I do not see anything wrong with businesses being open any day of the year, it's their right and their choice. Even the big sales to generate business don't bother me. If so many people did not like this aspect of free enterprise, they would not be out shopping and the businesses would not stay open. It's a bit of the supply and demand principle, after all. The part of it all that kind of bothers me is the very simple fact that so many people really don't even understand what the holiday is about. It's them, the general public that let the reason die when they forget the purpose behind the holiday, and when they fail to educate their children to the very heart of what is being celebrated. But, that's just how life works, I guess.

It's that phrase, "Time heals all wounds." As time passes, people tend to forget the cost, the pain, the suffering, and the sacrifice. The begin to remember and focus on the fun times and get-together aspects of the holiday. We as parents often forget to instil into our children the ideals we ourselves hold so dear, and we as humans tend to push the unpleasant parts of life into the darkest closets, so that we can focus on the wonderful times instead. Over time we ourselves forget the purpose and reason we celebrate and instead look forward to a fun filled holiday with friends and family. Not all, but many fall victim to this phenomenon.

But, isn't that the reason we set a specific day aside? Isn't the reason to remind us, so we will never forget the cost, suffering, and sacrifice. Isn't that why tyranny repeats itself, because too many people forget? Yes, time heals the wound, but it also tends to blind us to the very cause of the wound. Those who suffered the wound will never forget, but their children and grand children tend to forget a bit more with each passing generation. In time too much is forgot and a new wound results. That's the lesson, and the reason behind so many of our holidays, to remind us so that we won't have to suffer the wounds of those who gave so much. The world over, people set days aside to honor their fallen, to remember their sacrifice, and to remind future generations, so that they will remain vigilant and ready for the next time tyranny rears it's vicious head.

Happy Memorial Day to everyone. I hope you had a safe and wonderful weekend. For me, it was a busy weekend at work, but it was a good weekend. Many guests passed through the yard, busy with holiday plans. The weather was splendid for all, and most everyone I talked to was enjoying the holiday. I hope they also took a few minutes to remember why this day exists and to remember those who died to make this day possible.

© Copyright 2014 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817966-Monday