*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/818393-Survival
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#818393 added June 2, 2014 at 5:12am
Restrictions: None
Survival
I think I'm still alive, but certainly not bouncing. In fact I'm finding movement difficult as another chaotic, stressful week comes to a close.

The weather has been far from spring like and the continuous rain making everything difficult. No walking, geocaching, gardening or escaping from the humdrum.

No walking until yesterday that is. It was actually dry so I made the effort to rise early to join my hiking group for the monthly walk. I didn't feel too great but hoped the exercise and fresh air might help. If only.

Miles and miles of inclines, mud, rocks, mud, stiles, mud, cows, mud and horror of horrors my worst nightmare. A raging river with stepping stones.

Several years ago I was walking our last dog in local countryside when I came to a stream. I stepped onto a stone and discovered it was loose. It tipped, I fell and cracked my head on another stone. My dog went on his way and I wandered alone in deserted countryside dripping with blood. A trip to hospital and several stitches ensured a recovery, but since then the sight of stepping stones over water send me into a panic. Had it not been for my understanding and helpful walking friends yesterday I would still be stranded in the woods.

It was a long gruelling walk. My new boots proved waterproof, but the mud was so deep in places it totally immersed our feet and crept over the tops of boots. One member fell crossing the river and another who stepped in a flooded rabbit hole. I guess I was lucky to reach the pub at the end with just blisters, shot nerves and aching joints, but it made it difficult to get going today.

Which happens to be Mey Ling's birthday. A family meal out at our expense has proved trying to say the least. My stepdaughter and family were an hour late, my son half asleep and hungover after a late night out with a friend and Mey Ling in a strop over everything and everybody. Five kids as high as kites and a house left looking like a bomb dropped are hardly conducive to relaxation.

But you know I'm not one to complain. *Rolleyes*

My sister's second grandchild arrived last Wednesday. A girl, temporarily called Piglet but now officially named Nina. I admit I'm a bit envious being surrounded by boys, but as long as they're all healthy and happy it matters not. And our Angel is a special little lady whatever the circumstances.

Next ordeal will be hubby's operation on Tuesday. I plan on doing very little apart from tidying up, visiting, watching some films and gardening. But then the weather forecast is for rain, rain and more rain. I guess I won't need to water any plants.

© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/818393-Survival