*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/818607-This-ones-about-the-fever
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#818607 added June 3, 2014 at 6:52pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the fever.
30DBC PROMPT: "Springtime Fever", from sunnystarr.

Hello again! If you're wondering about today's prompt, Sunny asked me this afternoon if I'd post it for her since she was running out of time on her break, so there it is. It's short, quick, and open to all sorts of interpretation. Glad I got the chance to catch Sunny before the rest of you guys in the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS forum started a revolt or something. Charles Charlie ~ , I'll expect a timelier prompt tomorrow morning. *Wink*

So springtime fever. That's a thing, right? You guys get it? I don't. I get Seasonal Affective Disorder  , and I can barely shake myself out of it long enough to realize it's summer and I've already wasted half of it, setting the chain of funk back into motion for another ten months out of the year.

"Chain Of Funk"...that should've been the name of a really popular band from 1978 that played a speed metal version of disco, with three guitars, two drummers, a horn section, a key-tar, and backup dancers. I should Google that and see what comes up! A Fleetwood Mac remix, various listings for "Chain Of Fools", and- oh! Turns out a band like the one I described exists...only they ditched the backup dancers, added actual keyboards, and called themselves The Roots. Well, now it all makes sense...thanks Google! *Thumbsup*

But back to the matter at hand. Like I said, I don't really get "springtime fever" anymore. Sure, the smell of the air changes and I feel like I wanna play basketball and bust out my old Public Enemy   tapes, until I remember I can barely walk and I don't own any of my cassettes anymore.

What really frustrates me is rain, mainly because I got stuck in the rain today after a physically grueling session of PT and I still can't figure out the weather patterns after living in Cortland for a year and a half. The sky was all gloomy lookin' today, and right before the ultrasound session the sun started to peek out, so I breathed a little sigh of relief hoping that I'd be home before the rain hit, even if that meant cutting my grocery shopping trip a little short in order to do so. Nope. No chance...by the time I made it to the store it was raining, which turned into a torrential downfall, The kind of rain that would be fun to play around in, say, if you didn't have obligations or life happening or stuff. Try waiting for a bus in that mess...especially with confused masses who aren't sure if they should try to make a break for it to their cars with bags of groceries or start singing Kumbaya in the lobby while turning down the store's offers to shoppers of an umbrella-assisted escort to their cars. It's interesting because I've lived all my life through terrible winters that everyone trudges through like there's a badge of honor waiting for them at the other side of their destination, -30 wind chills be damned, but throw a midday thunderstorm on them and everyone turns into pussies. Remarkable.

And here's why the weather's so weird here: it's disgustingly humid for a few days (to the point of marinating inside your own flesh), and then it rains for thirty minutes to an hour, and then the sun comes out and you're Sahara hot again. Whereas in Buffalo, if the day's gonna be shitty rain-wise, it's shitty all day. It sprinkles off and on but the clouds just refuse to move. You're not sure if you can trust the sky, but you're not worried about your life getting stuck in a parking lot flood because it's raining like the world should be ending and the disaster awareness people will find you dead knowing everything you bought was exactly the opposite of what your doctor has advised you against.

So yeah, I should've tried to drag out my grocery store trip for as long as possible today to not have to walk a few blocks in a mess of cumulus cloud rage, but I just wanted drinkable water and the chance to get home and relax as fast as possible. I'm confused as to why it's called a rain shower when, immediately after being trapped in one, you feel like you need to take a real shower with soap/body wash afterwards. I kinda was pissed when I got home that I woke up early enough this morning before PT to take a shower, only to feel exponentially more disgusting three hours later.

BCF PROMPT: "What was/is your favorite TV show?"

I know very recently I was having a discussion with don't call him Charles Charlie ~ about something relating to telling the same old stories again in a blog...and I know I've talked about TV watching a bunch of times before. But since that's what we're being prompted with, I'll comply again.

There's too much truth to the fact that I hate watching television, because how much of the programming we're stuck with choosing from is something you can actually relate to? If it's not something I can sympathize with, then I feel terrible about dedicating my eyes toward an experience I'll never be able to recapture. I have a nearly nonexistent attention span as it is (let's not even talk about movies), and I prefer to do things at a pace that isn't dictated by advertising or ratings or the whole fast food "get it now" urgency that society has become. I do things when I want to do them, and not because it's nestled in the cushy "Thursday at 8pm" time slot.

Having said that, obviously I'm typically late to the party when it comes to television. I don't even own one, for fuck's sake. And I don't want one. I don't wanna be a slave to The Man. If you're only keeping me in your social circle because you think I might have something interesting to say about a show you watch, then we won't be friends for very long. But I will cop to being fans of two shows..."Friends" and "Arrested Development".

"Friends" came along at around the same time I was their ages as characters, but it took me a long time to get into it. I was dating a girl who would always watch the reruns, and my laptop was situated next to the TV because that's where the open phone jack I could use for dial-up internet was. And it seemed like, for awhile, I was watching the same damn episode over and over. I don't remember how I got sucked into it- maybe it was my sister watching it one day and I started taking more of an interest; I don't know- but somehow I loved the characters and it was sorta something I could relate me and my friends to. I have no problem admitting that I cried at the end of the final episode, because there was no longer a "them" and I knew we'd all be sadly affected by the outcome.

"Arrested Development", on the other hand, is flat-out comedy genius. Some people go for quick laughs and cheap humor, but this is challenging stuff. The cast worked you for the laughs because the payoff was that much better. The premises were so far-fetched and unrelateable, but that made it funnier than shows that attempt to mimic what "real world adults" go through because, quite honestly, how many of us actually go through life like we're on "Scrubs" or "How I Met Your Mother" or "<insert legal drama here>", or "Friends", for that matter?

Besides late-night shows like Jimmy Fallon's and Seth Meyers' (and occasionally Jimmy Kimmel's) or SNL, I really don't care what's on TV. I can fall asleep to ESPN's SportsCenter, wake up, and it's still the same damn show. News? My building just got rewired for internet access recently, so it's not like I'm unaware of what's going on in the world (plus I still read the occasional newspaper). What doesn't the internet do? Besides make me omelets? When your TV can do that you can shove it up your ass Text me when that happens.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

This is why I need The Roots as a part of my everyday life. More so than Rock You  .



THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

*Cart* Ya know, as if it weren't bad enough that I had to deal with rain earlier today, I got to see a good old fashioned instance of public confrontation. Now, if you've read me for awhile, you know I have issues with motorized shopping carts in supermarkets (and I don't feel like finding the link to that series of entries 'cuz it doesn't matter that much in relation to this episode). I see this woman driving around the store in one, and I'm patient about it like no worries. As I'm waiting for the bus to come, she pulls up and her friend takes off to get her van she came in with, leaving her to plug in the electric cart for the next person. And she's strugglin' (and this is where I'm a giant a-hole, 'cuz I was too near panic-attacky and concerned about my own level of comfort to help this woman move her motorized cart into a position where she could easily park it next to an outlet to charge it while being out of the way of the entrance. And oh did she fail. She got it plugged in alright (which, having had to rely on them before and them quitting halfway through the store, I was thankful for), but it was sticking so far out from the wall it was blocking the inside entrance to the store and if you came in pushing a cart, it'd require a significant amount of remaneuvering to get around aside from the fact that the plug and cord were very easily trippable on. But no matter; she did her thing and I know some people prefer to be left alone in that situation; so I minded my biz until the bus came...which also happened at the same time her friend had pulled up in front of the store with a handicapped-accessible van. A woman, who I can best describe as being older than me but somewhat around the same age as the other two women, promptly lost her shit with a strong British accent and went off about how it was a terrible place for her to park and it's inconsiderate and it's raining and boo-hoo poor her, while the driver argued back that she was driving her handicapped friend. I'm not gonna lie; I watched the British lady walk into the store and hoped she'd trip on the outstretched cord of the cripple cart before I got on the bus, and I was disappointed when she didn't.

*Drbag* So I mentioned about having a tough time at PT today because the therapist worked my ass off. Here's a hint for all you potential bone-breakers: If you tell a therapist, who isn't your regular therapist, that you're having trouble with something, she'll make you work twice as hard on something you absolutely hate. Case in point: after being put on the spot by her regarding activities I'd like to resume once I'm presumably healthy and responding with running (something I haven't done regularly in over twenty years), conversation got awkward and I had to explain to her how I broke my shoulder (which was the reason why I ran so much twenty-some odd years ago...I couldn't participate in contact drills with the wrestling team, so I ran and then did conditioning work). And somehow that led to me admitting I have a real hard time walking stairs right now, which in turn prompted her to make me do step-climbing exercises. Lots of them. My knees, back, and hips are swearing at me right now; forget the damn ankle I'm supposed to be rehabbing.

*Cake3* Hey! Go on and wish BIG BAD WOLF is hopping a happy birthday today, and send him a merit badge too while you're at it. In my travels last night I saw he'd mentioned getting like 50-100 of 'em today, so light him up!

I'm inappropriately sweating mad legit right now due to the sun's position versus mine, so here's where you and I part ways for another day while I ponder whether to close the blinds and take a nap or catch up on the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS entries from yesterday I missed. Peace, baby don't worry, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/818607-This-ones-about-the-fever