*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822943-I-like-to-eat-out-and-I-cannot-lie
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#822943 added July 18, 2014 at 2:17pm
Restrictions: None
I like to eat out and I cannot lie
What is your favorite restaurant?

What can I say... I have eaten in some great restaurants and some pretty stanky ones.  My all time favorite is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
When I lived in MN, Manny's the butterknife steakhouse was the old people's hang out. The rich and famous/old money went there. As a treat to me my Mr. Perfect took me there for an anniversary dinner.  It wasn't a good experience and the steak was not butterknife tender. Far from it. It was over crowded and very noisy!

We discovered Ruth's Chris. From the first visit it has been a joy to go there. We had a fabulous waitress and she gave us good suggestions. Each time we returned we asked for her (Lisa, I think her name was it was over 10 years ago. We moved to Portland, OR in 2006) and she would get me the Hearts of Palm salad even when it wasn't on the menu any more.  We made reservations for our birthdays, anniversaries, and the kids got to choose their favorite place to eat. It seems they liked Ruth's Chris just as much as we did. (And still do) 

When we moved to Portland, Oregon, we went once or twice the first two years. (economy has limited our visits to this type of restaurants) We found that the change in region does make a difference. At first they didn't serve the rolls hot. That was changed the last time we were invited to go there with friends.

I was introduced to Ahi Tuna and it has become my all time favorite food.  I had ordered it the first time I was in this area and they encrusted the meat with so much peppercorn and spices it didn't taste good. It took away from the flavor of the meat. The last time we went there, the waiter told me I could request it with moderate spices. When it arrived, it was much better. I missed the wasabi paste ad shaved pickled ginger I love to eat with Ahi.  I have eaten it at Portland City Grill and they do a fairly passible job with the presentation.

Ruth's Chris steaks are tender and done to perfection. I have to say that in all the years we have eaten at these establishments there has never been an issue with the steaks. If it isn't quite right they will take it back with no problem and fix it. I've never felt there was any retribution from the chef.

One time (in MN) Mr. Perfect walked to the podium to report in (He'd heard Ruth had been in town) and asked if Ruth was there. The girl looked at him and asked, "Do you know her?"
Mr. Perfect nods, "Of course, heard from her just this week. She told us to come in." She'd done an advertisement on the radio.
The girl went away and I chided Mr. Perfect for his teasing. The girl came back shortly, took us to our table and we were treated like royalty. We had two wait staff and were given an extra dessert instead of us sharing a creme broulee. Mr. Perfect thanked the staff and said the next time he saw Ruth he'd mention what a great staff she had. They all smiled as we left thanking us for coming. 
I almost felt bad about it, but it was perception. I was sorry to hear Ruth died from throat cancer due to smoking. She did have that kind of voice. 

As a side note: The Flame Room at the downtown Minneapolis Raddison Hotel was our first restaurant of choice when our daughter was very young, 4 or 5. It wasn't the food although they had something I remember ordering each time we went.  It was the entertainment.  A high class restaurant, they hosted the GOLDEN STRINGS.  Cliff Brunzell was the leader and what fun they had and we had.

© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822943-I-like-to-eat-out-and-I-cannot-lie