*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823207
by Raine
Rated: GC · Book · Romance/Love · #2001388
Kidnapped by aliens, Cassie has to escape but she hadn't counted on falling in love.
#823207 added July 21, 2014 at 2:38pm
Restrictions: None
Stardust (ch 6)



Cassie perched on the side of the narrow padded bench she’d first woken on and watched Revelin clean the cuts in his side. Or try to. As flexible as he was, it was an awkward position to try to see the bleeding stripes, marks of the claws that had cut through the metal plates of his shirt.


Her heart skipped a beat at the memory and she steadied herself with a deep breath. It was all too weird, too science fiction for her brain to accept even if she’d seen him change form with her own eyes, heard his altered heartbeat with her own ears, and touched those lethal claws with her own hands. That her hosts-slash-kidnappers were aliens from another planet was a concept that stretched her imagination beyond its limits.


Revelin’s mouth twisted as he dabbed at the blood on his side, smearing it over what little clean skin remained, and Cassie’s patience snapped.


“Here. Give that to me,” she snapped, sliding off the bed and holding out her hand for the cloth. He hesitated, but she was having none of it. Snatching it away, she pushed his arm higher so she could see the wounds better. Oddly enough, he obeyed, holding his arm out of her way. With care, she cleaned the bloody skin and made sure no hair or dirt remained in the cuts themselves. “Do you have anything to close these with? Tape? Stitches? Staples? I’ll work with anything.”


“I’ll be fine,” he said, his tone stiff with what she could only call wounded prided.


“I didn’t ask that, now did I?” She glared up at him, feeling the shaky edge of another panic attack looming. It was official. She’d gone insane. She had to be crazy to be arguing with a muscle bound alien who could change his body to be a third bigger than he was normally and could shred her with his razor sharp claws before tearing her apart with his prominent canine teeth. Absolutely nothing about him said peaceful herbivore and she was arguing with him?


His eyes narrowed but he didn’t say anything. Instead, he opened a compartment in the wall—she missed how he did it—and fetched a flattish dispenser with a sticky strip sticking out of it. Cassie took it from him with a tight smile.


“Thank you. Now, keep your arm up. Your skin is still kind of loose here.”


“It takes time for the effects of shifting to wear off,” he reminded her. “My skin will return to normal in time.”


“Yes, but you’re bleeding all over everything. I want these closed so they can heal properly. Suck it up and deal with it already.”


With care that belied her sharp tone, she tore strips of the sticky stuff from the dispenser and pulled the edges of the wound together. It took time and concentration and she could feel the edges of panic receding now that she had something to focus on. It was still there like an acid taste at the back of her throat, but she could manage it for now.


“Is there anything I need to be putting on these to prevent infection?” she asked, pulling another cut closed and applying tape across it like a butterfly bandage to keep the edges together. Blood leaked from the wound she’d just sealed and she dabbed at it with the cloth before moving onto the next one. This one was deeper, running parallel with his ribs which made it more difficult to get the edges to meet in spite of his looser skin.


“No. In spite of what you might think, Leiv is not infectious.”


Was that a joke? She glanced up.


He wasn’t looking at her. His gaze was fixed on the long strands of her hair that had come loose from her ponytail. Curiously intent, he reached out to wind one around his finger and let it slide free. Cassie looked away, feeling a blush rising under her skin.


“Why were the two of you fighting anyway?”


He shrugged and she felt another whisper stroke of a caress to her hair. “Leiv should never have brought you here. I gave orders we were not to disturb the indigenous population. He let Llyr slip him and then thought to use that as an excuse for his actions.”


“And that warrants bloodshed?” She chanced another look to find him frowning.


“He challenged my authority. The matter has been put right again, so you need not worry.”


She managed to get the wound closed over the curve of his ribs, hoping that, when his skin tightened back up, it didn’t pull free of the tape. The last one sealed easily and she was done. She handed him back the tape and he reached to trigger the compartment.


“Hold on. How do you do that?”


Catching her arm, he tugged her in front of him. Abruptly, she was aware of the heated strength of him so close he was practically wrapped around her. Catching her hand, he lifted her fingers to the smooth surface of the wall.


“Right here.” He touched her fingers to a fine indent she hadn’t noticed until he pointed it out. “Feel that mark?”


She nodded, swallowing hard, more aware of him behind her than the scratch on the metal under her fingers.


“Press lightly and it will open.”


She did and the compartment opened silently. He put the tape away, his body brushing hers as he closed the small door. She didn’t breathe until he moved away. She’d never been around someone as physically imposing as Revelin before. It was unnerving to say the least.


“Are you hungry?” he asked with a slight frown.


“I’m almost afraid to ask what’s on the menu.”


His frown deepened. “We have food stores that should be compatible with your natural nutritional intake.”


“As long as I’m not the main course,” she muttered and then tugged the tie out of her hair. Knots tangled on her fingers when she tried to smooth it back into place. “Do you have a brush or comb I could use?”


His eyes followed the fall of her hair. “Not here. If you tie your hair back, you should be presentable for the meal and I will make certain you have what you need after.”


“Revelin?” she asked, her voice small in the silence. “How long am I going to be here?”


He met her gaze. “Only until we find what we need to depart or I’m am certain the Gurot haven’t followed us here.” A negligent wave at the small room. “This is where you will sleep as it is the only unoccupied room available. Should Llyr be hurt, we would need the tube but that is unlikely.”


She smoothed her hair back as best she was able and replaced the tie, glancing curiously at the narrow bed. “Tube?”


“Medical tube. For repairs to the body.”


“If it repairs bodies, why didn’t you use it on your wounds?”


“Because it doesn’t work on hirrient.” Impatient, he caught her wrist and tugged her toward the door. “We will give you a tour later and explain what you will need to know about the ship’s conveniences. Now, I would eat.”


Not sure what she would face, Cassie let him pull her from the room and followed him through a few shorter halls. The low murmur of voices drifted out of a room ahead and she found herself guided into a room with a table, benches, four hirrient, and one bright eyed boy who smiled at the sight of them. Not fancy enough to be called a dining room, it was utilitarian at best. A mess hall, then.


The hirrient rose as one, hands clasped behind their back as they faced Revelin who nudged her further into the room.


“Everyone? This is Cassie. She will be with us a while and you will accord her every respect.”


The hand on the small of her back pushed her gently forward and she realized she had taken a step back. Well, so far Revelin didn’t bite. She could only hope that the same held true for the others gathered around the table.


Dark and pretty Ari met her eyes and smiled, his eyes going half-lidded. “Cassie.”


There was a rumble in his voice, a soft purring that felt like the promise of a kiss. A low growl from behind her turned the dark eyes away and Ari ducked his head, a smile still playing around the corners of his mouth.


“You have met Ari,” Revelin said, disapproval thick in his voice. “Beside him is Davi.”


The hirrient was a bit shorter than Ari, his white blond hair a striking contrast to the darker man. He met her gaze with eyes of arctic blue and bowed his head, remaining silent. She nodded, trying not to look as nervous as she felt.


“Kyall.”


Across the table from Ari and a match for him in height, Kyall was lighter in coloring though not by much, his mahogany streaked hair and golden skin reminding her of a tiger. Golden eyes flicked over her shoulder and then back to her face.


“Cassie,” he greeted her quietly. “You are welcome here.”


“Thank you.”


At the end of the table, Leiv glared at her, his nose puffy and the bruising around his eyes dark and purple. She’d done some damage in her bid for escape, not that it had done her much good. The red streak in his hair seemed duller in this light, that darker hair around it looking nearly black. Like Revelin, he wore no shirt, the light furring across his chest as dark as Ari’s hair but no less dramatic, caressing as it did that beautiful musculature these hirrient had in spades. No bloody marks marred his skin and she had to wonder how Revelin had asserted his authority if he got marked and the other man didn’t. Leiv looked away, turning his head toward Llyr, and she saw four thin lines crossing his throat and understanding dawned. He might have marked his leader, but Revelin could have killed him. A fraction of an inch deeper, and those four cuts would have ended his life.


“Leiv,” Revelin growled. A warning throbbed in the air.


“Cassie.” Leiv bit off her name as if it tasted bitter in his mouth.


“Leiv,” she replied, reining back the urge to apologize. She had nothing to apologize for. She had every right to fight for her freedom. It was his bad luck to be on the receiving end of it. Her chin came up a notch as his dark eyes settled on her and then flicked away.


“And, of course, you know Llyr.”


The boy bounced a bit on his toes, his smile bright. “Hello, Cassie. You can sit between me and Kyall.”


She glanced back at Revelin who gave her a quick nod and another nudge. Either he thought she was a coward or he was hungry. Maybe both. With an inward sigh, she edged past Kyall’s bulk to the seat where Llyr practically quivered with excitement.


Revelin took a place at the head of the table and ran his finger over the edge. A soft chime sounded and a small door opened, displaying an array of metal trays on which a variety of dishes steamed. Passing the trays to his left, Revelin quickly emptied the compartment and closed the door. As one, the hirrient sat, each placing the tray he held on the table and taking a glass of a pale liquid. Cassie dropped quickly onto the bench, embarrassment making her fidget. Nothing like not knowing the table manners when invited to dinner to make her self-conscious.


Llyr patted her arm in reassurance, setting a glass in front of her. “There’s nothing too odd in our food. You needn’t worry.”


“Odd for who, kytt?” Ari wanted to know, taking a large dollop of steaming white substance that looked like thick oatmeal and passed the dish to Davi. “Gael is a planet of algae munching herbivores,” he told Cassie in a conspiratorial tone, reaching for a plate filled with cooked meat. “It’s nutritious, but flavorful cuisine isn’t one of their exports.”


“And you’re a carnivore. Got it.” She took a bit of the white stuff when it came to her and passed it on. No hurt in trying new things. “And algae, at least the stuff on this planet, is a protein packed nutrient we add to all sorts of things.”


“Does it taste?”


She accepted the next plate, adding a little to her dinner. “Taste like what?”


“Anything.” Ari shuddered. “Gael food is bland.”


Cassie shrugged. “It’s usually used as filler and to add nutrition without adding fat.”


Davi abruptly reached across the table and touched her hand. Startled, she almost dropped the spoon of reddish creamy sauce she held. Kyall steadied her arm and made a soft approving sound.


“He’s right. You might want to be careful with that. It…” He trailed off, looking puzzled, searching for words. “It bites.”


“It’s hot?”


He shook his head. “All the food is heated. This one has a flavor that is—aggressive.”


“Spicy.” She nodded her understanding and sent Davi a nod and a small smile for the warning. “Thank you. I’ll be careful.”


Revelin sat through the pleasantries, taking the last of each plate and disposing of them before turning his attention to his own food. Leiv kept his gaze down as he ate, making no attempt to join the conversation. Llyr ate with enthusiasm, poking at the meat with a grimace and mixing the spicy sauce liberally with the rest.


Taking a tentative bite, she understood his reasoning. All the food was as bland as Ari had warned her. No doubt it was nutritious, but it left a lot to be desired in the flavor department. Conscious of Kyall’s warning, however, she tasted a drop of the sauce. Flavor exploded in her mouth, spicy and warm. A moment later, Cassie snatched at her glass, trying to put out the flames in her mouth. This was worse than jalapeños! Davi started out of his seat, concern on his face, but she waved him down, sucking wheezing breaths. That was some sneaky lethal stuff!


“Aggressive. Got it.” Eyes watering, she blew out her breath. “You guys would love ghost peppers.”


“Peppers?” Llyr asked, shoveling in his food as if the stuff weren’t hot enough to ignite a volcano.


“A vegetable we grow in these parts of the world. They have a similar, um, aggressive flavor.” 


More carefully, she added just a touch of the sauce to the bland white stuff and mixed it up before trying again. The heat was more manageable this time and she settled in to eat. The meat was a little tougher than she was used to but well cooked and juicy with a hint of the wild flavor she associated with venison. Her plate was clean when she sat back with a sigh, feeling a bit more human.


Revelin glanced at her plate. “If you are still hungry, I can request more food.”


“No, but thank you. I’m full.”


He took another bite, shaking his head. “Llyr eats more than you do.”


“He’s a growing boy. I’m not.”


His eyes flicked over her but he said nothing. Ari wasn’t so restrained.


“No,” he purred. “You certainly aren’t a boy.”


There was a scuffle under the table that ended with Ari wincing and Revelin shaking his head again. Cassie smothered a grin. Okay, so Ari was a flirt and Revelin didn’t like it. Hitting on the captive woman was probably bad form. From the wink Ari sent her direction, he didn’t care.


She liked him, she decided. She liked his outgoing attitude and welcoming manner. His flirting felt more like a tease than pressure. As pretty as Ari was, though, it was Revelin who held her attention. He wasn’t the largest man at the table—that award went to Leiv—but something about him drew her. Quiet strength, she thought. He hadn’t lost his patience with her fears, but he hadn’t let her hide. He seemed sincere in his promise to let her go and his dismay at her presence, but only time would tell if he would follow through.


“What is it you do, Cassie?” Kyall asked, still eating.


“I’m a nursing student.”


There was a long moment of silence and then Revelin looked up.


“You are a healer in training?”


She lifted a shoulder, shaking her head. “Not a doctor in the sense you mean. A nurse takes care of sick people while a doctor heals them. If someone is hurting, I would tend the hurt, not diagnose an infection or prescribe medication. I don’t have the memory to be a doctor, I’m afraid.”


He snorted and took another bite, chewing thoughtfully. “You are not stupid.”


“No, but doctors have to know a lot more than a nurse, and just doing the few low level medical courses I’ve had to take, I know I’d never make it through medical school.” She shrugged again. “I’m happy doing what I do. That’s all I can ask for, right?”


The hirrient shared a look she couldn’t decipher.


“Your mate is a healer, then?” Ari wanted to know.


“I don’t have a husband.”


Utensils hit the table with a clatter and she found herself the focus of five sets of disbelieving eyes. Beside her, Llyr glanced up, shrugged and went back to eating. Cassie looked around, bewildered.


“What?”


They shared another look, shaking their heads. Ari looked at Revelin and raised a brow and a low growl issued from the end of the table.


“It is odd to us is all.” Kyall broke off, looking flustered.


“You are a young, lovely, intelligent woman,” Ari added. “Are the men of your world blind or stupid?”


No, they were immature and selfish, she thought and then felt guilty. It was wrong to judge all men by the few losers she’d dated.


“I haven’t met someone I’m willing to spend my life with yet is all.”


“You will,” Llyr murmured. His expression was solemn as he looked down at his plate. He laid his spoon aside with inordinate care. “You will meet someone, but your choices will be difficult ones.”


Without warning, he slid from the bench and left the room. Cassie stared after him.


“Is he all right?”


“He likes you,” Kyall assured her. “He gets like that sometimes.”


Which was really no explanation at all. Conversation turned to other topics, filled with names she wasn’t sure were people or places, and Cassie let her mind drift, relaxing into the moment. Oddly, she thought her father would enjoy her present company. There was a camaraderie here that went deeper than mere friendship. Ari tossed a utensil at Leiv who snatched it out of the air without seeming to look. Her mother would be fascinated by them. They were graceful, even at rest, their movements as fluid as any cat. She shook her head. All right, as weird as her current situation was, she was fascinated by them.


“If you are finished, I will show you back to your room.” Revelin stood, interrupting her thoughts.


Cassie rose obediently and joined him amid murmured wishes for a good night. Revelin led her back to the medical room with the narrow padded bench/bed.


“Lights.” He touched a spot on the inside of the doorframe and the lights came on.


“How would I go about bathing and finding some clean clothes?”


He showed her how to trigger a small cubicle and call for a cleaning cycle as he called it. Then the toilet was summoned and put away again. Clothing was going to be a bit more of a problem which wasn’t particularly surprising since the other occupants were either much larger or much smaller than she was. Revelin left for a moment and came back with a round, bristled brush and gave it to her along with a stretchy black jumpsuit that would conform to her body shape. Or so he claimed. It still left her nothing to sleep in but her dirty t-shirt, but she wasn’t about to sleep in the nude.


Mind whirling but exhausted, she did her best to remember everything he told her. It might come in handy trying to find a way out of this place.


He paused in the doorway. “Get some sleep, Cassie. Tomorrow we will decide how to proceed from here.”


“Revelin? I wanted to thank you for being so patient with me. I know I’m a problem you hadn’t counted on, but I appreciate your kindness.”


He shook his head. “Do not mistake my actions for patience or kindness. I am neither patient nor kind. And, Cassie?”


“Yes?”


“Should I find you wandering about tonight, I will not be so understanding.”





© Copyright 2014 Raine (UN: crystalraine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823207