*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/824709-This-ones-about-being-prepared-knowing-and-not-that-door
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2002599
My fourth blog. Amazing yet disconcerting. Don't worry; this'll go away in a year or so.
#824709 added August 7, 2014 at 10:54pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about being prepared, knowing, and not that door.
30DBC PROMPT: "There are some important things one should know about camping in the wilderness and lots of information available on the web in case you don't know. Do you know how to purify water? Do you know how to build a fire? Finally what does it mean when it says 'Sustainable Camping'? Inquiring minds want to know how prepared you are for this adventure."

Header for 30DBC summer challenge.


Good evening blog campers! Here's a bit of irony for you...I was a boy scout once for a few years, and right now I have only the basic ideas of how to go about outdoor camping. We didn't have all this information on an "internet" back then...we were supposed to know how to tie knots and pitch tents and start fires without lighters or adults. And purifying water? *Laugh* Right. We drank that gross, nasty well water that came from a weird-lookin' spigot straight outta the ground.

And it's probably been over twenty years since the last time I did any kind of camping. Sure, some things aren't that hard to do and other things might come back to me...I know starting a fire isn't as simple as rubbing two sticks together like they do in cartoons, and the simplest way of purifying water is to boil it, but that's not prudent in the summer time.

So that's your first mission, campers, courtesy of Lyn's a sly fox ...show us how prepared you are for this endeavor and teach us a thing or two. I'm looking forward to catching up soon on your responses!

BCF PROMPT: "Today's prompt is 'I knew it was going to be a bad day.' Have fun and take it anywhere you like."

I get the feeling many people will be relating this prompt to a workday experience. I can't say I blame them; there's a reason why it's called "work" and not "fun"...even though for the most part I truly enjoy what I do at Capco.

But that doesn't mean it's not without its "tear your hair out and set your head on fire" moments, because it so is. Maybe it's because I still don't feel like I've been on the job long enough, but I go into every shift in a really good mood and with a healthy dose of optimism...and I prefaced that with "maybe" because it's like retail, but without the soul-crushing corporate climate and there's really no one for customers to complain to about you when you won't let them get their way about something they're already getting for free (except you *Smirk*).

Opening the door to our part of the building first thing in the morning and seeing a gigantic pile of donations waiting to be checked in is usually a bad sign...especially when your coworker is habitually late (which is probably my punishment for skating in anywhere between one and ten minutes late daily when I worked at Walgreens) and it's the first week or two of the month, where people are still looking to fill their monthly quotas of free shit for their families. If you see that stack, and within five minutes of you opening you're being paged up front to help someone bring in another donation (hint: if you're being called up it's probably because there's way too much stuff for the person to bring it in by themselves), your day just got worse. And then, if your first customers' families include screaming children who think a store-like atmosphere means "playground where they can throw all the toys and not pick them up", well your bad day is pretty much complete. And that's why on Tuesday I considered my seven hour shift over after the first sixty minutes hopelessly drained off the clock in the storm of every aggravation I could've possibly faced.

I know some of you have harder jobs and rougher days, but you're used to it and probably much more compensated for your efforts than I am. Still, I'd like to see how some of you hold up for a month of dealing with what we have to on occasion. I'd even be willing to trade salaries! *Wink*

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Barrel Of Monkeys


Time again for my addition to the "Barrel of Monkeys playlist  ...on the heels of lizco252's entry "Invalid Entry, I've got the letter G and I'm going with The Frames' "Giving It All Away"...another band you've probably never heard of (in fact, the album that this song came from, Fitzcarraldo  , was super-hard to find in the US for, like, forever), but they're from Ireland and are apparently the biggest band to come from over there since some little group called U2 back when your folks thought it'd be funny to...oh wait, some of you weren't even born yet *Rolleyes*. You may be familiar with lead singer Glen Hansard, who has done some solo tours with Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam and starred in the movie Once  . Anyway, this album is now available on the US version of iTunes and there isn't a bad song on it at all.


"You said you found a song to sing..."
Lyrics.  


THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

Blog City image small


*Dooro* "Which door will you open? Narnia, Hogwarts, Wonderland, Camelot, Neverland, Middle Earth or Westeros (Lord Of The Rings Geography area)?"

Uhhh, how about none of 'em? I'll take door number zero, Monty.

I know it won't be Neverland, because it's now for sale   (and yes, I know the prompt isn't referring to that Neverland).

Maybe Narnia on a Lazy Sunday  ...Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious.

Westeros? Never heard of it, unless you mean Arrested Westeros  ...oh, you haven't. I've made a huge mistake  .

I'd probably go with the real (fake) Neverland, actually, since that's about the only door I'm even remotely familiar with in literature...and I haven't read Alice In Wonderland in so long that the Tom Petty video   based on the novel is about all I remember of the story.

Well, I'm beat because I put in another full day at work today (so much for gettin' a little break by maybe leavin' early...I didn't even take a full lunch break). I'm shuttin' my phone off and sleepin' in as late as I can while trying to stay as far away from Capco as I possibly can. Peace, whatever helps you get along, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!



Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/824709-This-ones-about-being-prepared-knowing-and-not-that-door