*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825228-This-ones-about-a-grave-motivation-and-inspiration
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2002599
My fourth blog. Amazing yet disconcerting. Don't worry; this'll go away in a year or so.
#825228 added August 13, 2014 at 8:48pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about a grave, motivation, and inspiration.
30DBC PROMPT: "We are going to one of Maine's oldest cemeteries. The headstones are amazingly in good shape considering the weather. We are packing a lunch and while we are there do some gravestone etchings. Everyone should look around and pick a different headstone so we can compare the age of the people buried here. However to your surprise, the headstone has your name! We want to hear your reaction and what you think is going on."

Header for 30DBC summer challenge.


Yo campers, what up? When Lyn's a sly fox first approached me about today's prompt, I thought it was a great idea...and I still do. But now that I'm in front of the Toshiba ready to bust this entry out, I'm terrified by it *Laugh*. I don't know how you people with more common last names deal with seeing your name on tombstones...my last name isn't very ordinary so imagining it gives me a little pause...I think every gravestone I've visited of a family member actually has a different last name than mine (except my father's father, but I haven't been back to pay my respects since his funeral...and I can assure you it'd be a fully creepy experience, since we share the same first, middle and last names).

I'm also a bit weirded out talking about death, because of the closeness to Robin Williams' passing the other day and the freshness of the circumstances...but perhaps this can be a cathartic experience for all of us, confronting mortality. It's not my favorite subject, but I suppose sometime will come when we all have to take a proactive approach about what happens to us physically after we've left the world...but I'm 39 years old and I'm not so sure I'm mentally prepared to do that. Some of you are younger and likely haven't given this much thought, because why would you? And some of you are older and maybe have already picked out a plot, I don't know...I guess that could make it easier to talk about it.

I know I wouldn't want anything fancy or elaborate...I don't know that I've lived a life that merits that. Sure, I've had some fun and done some pretty sweet things, but I'm just a regular dude...my achievements are minor, I think.

But there I'd be, in all places, Maine...looking at a cemetery marker with name on it, surrounded by some great friends experiencing the same bizarre circumstances. Are we now a cult? Will this be a mass murder thing? Did our packed lunch include some secret Kool-Aid? Oh yeah! Oh no!   What are we all doing here?! Forgive me if I'm starting to become slightly overwhelmed by morbid curiosity...this scenario is beginning to take on a cheesy horror flick vibe, and I did some Boy Scout camping at the setting for a couple of Friday The 13th movies.

I could see Charlie ~ cracking some jokes about seeing my grave, and then watching his face turn white once he sees his. Maybe some of the ladies would get freaked out upon the realization that this could be it for all of us. Would the evil fallen sky god come swooping down, transforming us into zombies while waving his magic scepter and turning our campground into a mysterious cemetery and wiping out all traces of our prior existences? We'd just become faceless names on unsuspecting, unaccounted-for graves...no one would know what happened to us; all we are now are plots. I guess there's no point in me saying "I'm never camping with you guys again!"

And of course, because this is my blog, I'd get to play the hero. How do you dispatch an evil fallen sky god? I think I skipped class that day in school *Rolleyes*. Maybe the will to survive would kick in, and I'd become some sort of zombie apocalypse defeater...which would be nice, because I don't know the first thing about zombies and I'd probably be one of the earliest to perish if such a thing actually happened...I could be the Chuck Norris of zombie-killing. *Laugh*

I won't get in to who would survive this journey and who wouldn't...that's bad form and I wouldn't wish death on any of you. But I think collectively we would triumph...we're smart people and all; we can do this! Nobody's gonna bury me before I'm ready!

BCF PROMPT: "Write your own motivational and/or inspirational quote and/or speech."

I wouldn't say this is my strong suit...I like to think of myself as encouraging, but I'm not gonna put anyone on my back and get them over their mountains. I can't fight your wars until I'm finished with mine...or maybe I don't know what my exact purpose on this planet here is yet.

But I'm gonna go with the standard cliches...you can do anything you dream of, you're a bigger person than this, and why not supersize it? You only live once, and in time your regrets will not be the things you've done, but what you haven't did. When it comes time to rest eternally in front of that tombstone, you don't wanna be sayin' "I wish I woulda taken that chance", or "Maybe if I did things differently..." Nope. There's no time for turning back, so get it all out of the way now. Change your course; change your destiny. I should put that on a t-shirt or somethin'.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Barrel Of Monkeys


C'mon, Team Orangutans! The Howlers wiped the floor with us in the Bonus Tracks for "Barrel of Monkeys last night, and I thought we did pretty well. I think we've got it in us...we can do this.

I'm trying to think if I've shared anything by Spoon recently...I know I've had a Y song or two between here and the Bonus Tracks, so I'm really hoping I haven't already posted this video. It doesn't look familiar. Anyway, one of the members of Spoon is also in The Get Up Kids, which is cool because they're, in my opinion, two totally different bands (and I haven't been shy about proclaiming my love for TGUK). Critically acclaimed, and even more awesome is every cd of theirs I've bought has come with an exceptional bonus disc of demos and other stuff...like getting two cds for the price of one! Here's "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb"...


"Life can be so fair...let it go on and on."
Lyrics.  


THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

Blog City image small


*Thumbsup* "Make a list of inspirations. People, places, things, events, colors and activities. Do these inspire you to write, go to work, help you through life or make your day a good one? I would like to hear about them."

More inspirations...honestly, I'm gonna have to think about this, because I'm not really sure what inspires me until the moment hits. I don't have a go-to list for when I need a pick-me-up. I think if I did, it would cheapen their impact when I really could use something.

I know I like a good underdog story, and things about people who've overcome some sort of adversity to gain success...but who doesn't like that stuff? Sports teams winning a championship when nobody thought they would (the end of the movie Major League   is a prime example...I've seen it probably a hundred times, and I never fail to get emotional), stories about people defeating their demons or abusers, rags-to-riches tales...all good for a little inspiration.

When I was a high school athlete, I had a few mix-tapes of songs I'd listen to while working out...high-energy, get pumped stuff. Songs with a certain intensity, combined with positive lyrics regarding victory or rising above something, never failed to work for me. And I know I've made mention before of "Pass The Mic"   by the Beastie Boys as being a tremendous influence on me...forget for a second that it's hip-hop and just read the lyrics   like you would any other piece of poetry. How can you hear that, say, first thing in the morning, and not feel uplifted or ready to face whatever challenges your day might bring? It's the perfect mixture of confidence, bravado, and raw positive energy. That's definitely one song that hasn't lost significance to me, in over twenty years.

I feel like this is gonna be a short list...regular readers of this tasty internet pastry know I'll throw in a link every now and then when I see a story online that hits my feels upside the head. I guess if nothing else you can always count on me for that.

*Thought* I know I've shared a link like this in the past as well, but in light of recent news I think it bears repeating, especially now with an increased emphasis on depression. I'm all for a much more open dialogue about it with a hope that not only people who aren't afflicted by it will gain some understanding, but to let everyone know it's not a topic that should remain taboo. It shouldn't be dismissed or swept under the rug, and you can educate yourself on how to talk to people about it. I know I've heard some of these things by supposedly "happy, positive, upbeat" people, and really, a lot of the time it's the last thing many of us want to hear. 10 Things I Wish People Knew About Depression.  

*Music2* Music nerds! Check out this article from Grantland! The American Band Championship Belt  ...the writer lists every group that should've won (or contended for) a "Championship Belt", from 1964 through today! Interesting, to say the least.

*Ribbonb* I don't normally gush about awards or accolades here on WDC (because if that's why you write, you should probably pick a new passion), but I received a Merit Badge today from a friend of mine here in Cortland and to be honest, it's one I never thought I'd see myself getting..."Fairy Tale". Thank you, lktropuckr...the description was beautiful, even if things weren't what we hoped for..."For reminding me that a fairy tale is always worthwhile even if it doesn't have a happy ending." Very well said, and I'm truly appreciative not just of the MB, but for all your help in getting me settled out here.

And with that I'm wrapping this entry up for today...I was thinking about doing a little grocery shopping but maybe I'll hold off. It was more or less just an excuse to get out the house anyway, but I might just chill the rest of the afternoon. I've got a feeling tomorrow might be crazy at work (especially since we were closed yesterday, technically), and I already know there's a lot waiting for us when we open back up, so maybe I should just lay low the rest of the day. Peace, you got to know it's on your sleeve, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825228-This-ones-about-a-grave-motivation-and-inspiration