*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825456-Day-16
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1789627
30 Day Blogging Challenge
#825456 added August 17, 2014 at 12:02am
Restrictions: None
Day 16
Hey campers! It's time for another Saturday night campfire! Tell us a little about where you're from, and something that is commonly mistaken about your hometown. And if you don't think your town's big enough, tell us the advantage of your small town.

My City is a thousand years old, settlement wise.It is in the south west of England it is the gateway to the moors and  the postcard seaside towns of the south. It is famous for it's suspension bridge which was built by Isambard kingdom Brunel. A Victorian arcitect,and for it's balloon festival. Features that set it up well for featuring in a steam punk story. :)

It has a mysterious cave that lurches out in to the steep gorge. You can stand there on an old rusty balcony and stare at nothing but air, rocks and river beneath you.

It was a city involved in the slave trade. One of the African  slaves became a well known educated gentleman of the times and is posthumously buried in a local grave yard. This did not occur often I suspect. There are roads called  blackboy hill and whiteladies Rd paying testament to those times or so everyone thought but now there is consternation over if that is what they refer to at all. 

It's also said The Black boy Inn would have been used to try criminals, who were often executed and their remains put on display in a gibbet to deter others, they may have had tarred corpses hung there, hence black boys. 

Or its known that in the 17th century they used a blackboy sign to indicated  Inns sold tobacco. I wonder which is true?

It is pretty laid back, quite arty and has a big music and theatre scene. Its like a huge village. People do get shot, stabbed and buried in cellars here but its not too trepidacious. No police with guns, which we are all relieved about.

Bonus Prompt: Share a favorite campfire dinner recipe that's quick and easy.
Marshmallow on a twig

© Copyright 2014 Finn O'Flaherty (UN: fin333 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Finn O'Flaherty has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825456-Day-16