*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825475-Venting--read-at-your-own-risk
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#825475 added August 16, 2014 at 1:24pm
Restrictions: None
Venting- read at your own risk
I am going to vent about my work situation. 

I was asked by a long time friend of mine and my parents, if I could do a job for them none of their employees would do. Make follow-up phone calls. I told them I'd love to. It was something I'd done well before so I knew the process.

I began the job with gusto, calling vendors and distributors/customers. It went well the first year and a half. I was bringing in business they weren't getting otherwise. (Keep that last part in your mind) The commended me, by giving me a small commission on the business I brought in. In the mean time the Owner had some health issues and began to spend less and less at the business. #3 of the four sons who work there began the take over process. (See where I'm going?) 

My calls, follow-up and new business were still bringing in a good supply, but the repeat business was equal with the new business. I make cold calls all day long and take in any business that is sent our way from previous contacts I'd called as well as referrals.  All of the sudden my commission was taken away. I was told I had to reach a certain $ amount each year to make it worth their while to keep me. 

I covered the required $ amount and added to it. It still wasn't enough. I had mentioned that the cold calls were harder to find on my own and I needed a service to provide me with leads.  I talked one of the brothers into getting me the service and it has generated over what they paid.

A few weeks ago I got an EMAIL that my hours would be cut to 4 hours a day and that none of my repeat business would be attributed to me as they "Would have gotten it anyway." I had to get New Business and still make the quota. Even though he looked me straight in the face (at at a meeting I asked for when he came to town) and said there isn't really a $ amount but said I had to get this new business. I had to the end of the year to prove I was worth keeping on.

REALLY?  I began bringing in business based on the web searches. I have no way to check to see if they are customers or vendors so I get a notice: "They buy from us, this doesn't count."  I am so through with this.  These boys have no business sense. They have done things the way their father did. He has no business sense. If you bring in inventory and can sell it at a profit, have an accountant (#1 son) who can't manage his own money, deligate the payables and recieveables to others you can run a business.  They are nothing more than INVENTORY SPECIALISTS. They bring inventory in and sell it at a profit then spend the profit on a high lifestyle. When the slush fund gets tight, they cut their employees pay, take away incentives.
If it weren't for the fact that there is a dedication to the Owner most would walk away.  I think many will be looking for another job.  Some are close to retirement, or were until the recession hit. I have a few years before I can really retire. I've been putting feelers out and have a possiblity.
Here is the thing that put a little smile on my face yesterday. My hubby is close to #4 son. He called him and said, "Tina is ready to quit. #3(CEO)son taken all this and that away and made her job impossible to do." He went on to tell him all that happened, even though he sits just a few yards from my office, none of the brothers talk about what the other is doing with the $ or the company. #4 son was surprised at what was going on. My husband said, "In any other company after 3 years of doing this, all the incoming business would be turned over to her and she would follow-up with no requirement other than to do her job. New business would be a plus but not a requirement to keep her job." #4 son agreed. The kicker was when he told the son, "She's thinking of going on her own, doing exactly what she does now but shop the inventory instead of just turning it over to you. Is she does that how much do you think you'll get from your repeat customers she has already made friends with. You won't know who these people are you are buying their inventory unitl it is shipped to your location." #4 son is the smart, frugal one who owns most of the company but has no real backbone or desire to do anything but what he does. He does see the problem and is going to talk to #2 son and together they will confront #3 son with the problem. It may or may not make any difference but they will see that if you don't honor loyalty and reward it now and then, it go away and then come back to bite you in the END.


© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825475-Venting--read-at-your-own-risk