*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826274-Prompt-discssion
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#826274 added August 25, 2014 at 10:37am
Restrictions: None
Prompt discssion
PROMPT: What do you like to find in a blog prompt? Do you prefer open-ended or very specific prompts? Is there a particular type or element of a prompt that you dislike? Do you have a prompt that you think would be great? Include it and I'll see what I can do to make that happen.

I'm glad you asked. I've been following the blog prompts for a while. Some I can really get into and others I ignore. They either have no application in my life or writing style (sometimes I just don't have time to write or opportunity). I don't mind genre prompts. Some I can comment on just in general. 

I feel blogging is putting your thoughts and ideas down in print. The prompts help to jog the thought process which may lead to other things.  If you were to take the days I didn't write (minus weekends) you would be able to tell the ones I ignored.  I can't say I dislike any of the prompts. Some are better than others. I can tell when the prompt is a "throw it out because I don't have time to think or research another." 

I would prefer those who do the prompts to look at other sites, Facebook and just things that people are asking about.  At a writers conference, I saw a notebook with 365 days of prompts. I picked it up a few times and then decided I have enough prompts I don't do, I didn't need another notebook of prompts I don't do.

I like writing prompts that tickle the creative part of your brain. Things around you that you take for granted until you have to use them in your settings, situations.  Writing them helps to keep your brain and eyes actively seeking adj.
For instance: Your MC walks into a room and meets his/her hero/enemy. From the MC POV write the setting and their first dialogue.

Create a backstory for a character in your favorite story.

Write a comedic scene for a serious character.

Why do you write the genre you do? What is it that intrigues you about this genre over others?

A 5x grandfather/mother is time warped into your living room. How do you explain the items they see in this room?

I have trouble describing people. I read, "Go sit at a mall or public place and write what you see about people.  I see people. they are walking, talking and eating. To me they are just people. I don't get how to do that.

I can write the scene. People, siting on a bench, resting, waiting for someone shopping. Someone reading a book or paper while eating their lunch. They look like an employee as they are wearing a shirt with some kind of logo on it, or a name tag.  A woman walks by removing her name tag. Why? She doesn't want anyone to know her name? Feels self conscience about wearing a name tag? 

At the opening of a C.J. Banks store they were offering 40% discounts on clothes if you modeled on their little fashion show. When I got there they had enough models and asked if I would be a store mannequin. I thought sure!  I picked my outfit and stood in the window facing the escalator and an entrance from the outside.  People ignored me as I stood still, my arms in a stiff position much like you see on a mannequin. My eyes, however followed people. It freaked them out. They came up the escalator and saw me. My eyes followed them as they began their walk down the aisle. Then I winked at them. They jerked to a stop and stared. I went back to looking at the next person. It was the kids that were funny. They looked and stared then I stuck my tongue out at them. They tugged on their mother's shirt but I wasn't looking any more. I looked back at them and widened my eyes. They began tugging harder and finally their mothers looked and a I waved. They laughed.  I had a couple come in the store and tell the employees they liked the human mannequin in the window.  They asked if I would come back the next time they did this.  OF course!~ 40% is a good deal!!! I had too much fun not to do it.~




 ~

© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826274-Prompt-discssion