*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826623-Hating-Weddings
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#826623 added August 29, 2014 at 11:01pm
Restrictions: None
Hating Weddings
We attended (well, made it to the reception anyway) a wedding of one of my husband's friends this evening.

Most of the time, I despise weddings and especially receptions. More often than not I know few people other than my husband and son.

Because I really don't have friends. I have acquaintances and co-workers, and most of the time I'm fine with that. Sometimes though, especially in social gatherings, I end up bored.

Tonight was better than most, because I did know a few people and was able to engage in some conversation.

The best wedding I went to recently was a few months ago. I knew more people than normal, but that's not what made it fun.

My sister-in-law (and mother of the groom) asked if I had brought my camera. The couple couldn't afford a wedding photographer and my sister-in-law didn't want to have to keep track of her camera. She asked me to take pictures for her.

I was a bit nervous, because (for a writer this may sound odd) people don't interest me -- at least not where photography is concerned. I prefer nature and inanimate objects to point my camera at. Perhaps it's because I feel like I'm intruding. I don't like people taking pictures of me, so why should I extend my discomfort to others? That's plain rude.

Weddings, I discovered, are completely different. People expect to get their pictures taken.

The best part for me taking pictures is I could disappear into the background. People noticed me, but with fancy camera in hand, no one tried to engage me in conversation unless it was to ask for their picture to be taken, or of something interesting going on. They knew I had a job to do and let me do it.

Perfect for an anti-socialite like me.

There was the added pressure of never having taken wedding pictures before, so I had no idea how they would turn out. Overall, they turned out okay. Not professional grade, because I didn't have all the right gear I needed.

Since I've taken an interest in photography, I've paid close attention to other photographers to see what they use in specific circumstances. When my sister-in-law asked me to take pictures, I knew right away I didn't have all the right equipment, so had to make due with what I had. It showed, but at the same time, I was pleased with the end result.

And the bride seemed quite tickled when I sent the pictures to her.

That's not to say I will become a wedding photographer. Dealing with bridezillas and overbearing family members is not my idea of fun.

Next time I'm invited to a wedding, however, I may just drag along my gear, and pretend to be the photographer. That way I can disappear in the background and not be bored.

© Copyright 2014 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826623-Hating-Weddings