*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826844-This-ones-about-the-ombudsman-excellence-and-listicles
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2002599
My fourth blog. Amazing yet disconcerting. Don't worry; this'll go away in a year or so.
#826844 added September 1, 2014 at 8:46pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the ombudsman, excellence, and listicles.
30DBC PROMPT: Open prompt.

Good afternoon friends, lovers and otherwise! Happy unofficial end of summer Labor Day, and welcome to the start of another official round of the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS! I reached out via Facebook to my man 30DBC Creator/Founder earlier to see if we were gonna get a prompt for today, but I haven't heard back yet. I know Earl's been busy lately, so don't hold it against him. I don't feel bad being the one to declare today being an "open prompt", because it's been noted before that if there is no timely prompt then the day remains open, and because I know we've got a few challengers this month ahead of WDC time this can be problematic...I'd hate to see anyone get screwed because of timeliness and whatnot.

I don't often throw myself behind many causes here on WDC, for a variety of reasons that aren't necessary for me to get into further right now, but the 30DBC is one activity that is close to my heart and one I'll always stand behind, even if I can't be involved periodically the way I'd like to be. It's the longest-running blogging group here on WDC, and I'm proud to be a part of it as a two-time winner (by the way Earl, we're still waitin' on the July winners *Wink*). I think of the current participants, Prosperous Snow celebrating and I have been around the longest...we've weathered many changes in leadership and some sticky situations regarding some unscrupulous questionable practices, but I'm thrilled by all of the additions to our blog fam and I'm looking forward to seeing how much greater this activity can be in the coming months.

And that's why I have no qualms about proclaiming myself the ombudsman of this fine gathering of individuals. By definition, an ombudsman is "an official appointed to investigate individuals' complaints against maladministration, especially that of public authorities", or in simpler terms as it relates to what we do here in the 30DBC, a mediator when situations like today's no-prompt occurrence happens. Am I egotistical for promoting myself to a position that never existed? Yes. But is it necessary in certain circumstances? Also yes. My objective here is to take a fair approach to things that may arise in the course of a given month, and act as a go-between to settle questions, disputes, and other issues that may arise from time to time. All in all, this is a really great group and it's unlikely that I'll ever need to be called upon for any reason...but in the event something does occur that warrants my attention, I'll be there to ease and settle any concerns. My email door is open, and my Facebook and Twitter links are on the left-hand side of this blog, included with all of the other blog links. Feel free to use them at any time, and I'll respond as soon as I can.

I believe if anyone has the credentials for an undertaking such as this, it'd be me...if you feel otherwise, please don't hesitate to tell me what you think. I'm very open-minded and easy to get along with, and this group is very important to me...I want nothing but the best for it. With that said, good luck to all of the September challengers...let's get them words!

One last thing I'd like to mention...I can't thank enough the participants in August's 30DBC Summer Camp. All you guys...30DBC Creator/Founder , Charlie ~ , 💙 Carly , Finn O'Flaherty , amy-Has a great future ahead , ElaineElaine , Prosperous Snow celebrating , Noyoki , ANN Counselor, Lesbian & Happy , (I hope I didn't leave anyone out; I'm doing this off the top of my head)...thank you all for the best unofficial month I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. And to Lyn's a sly fox , you've been the biggest help, supporter, and best co-camp counselor! None of August would've happened without you guys, especially Lyn. I don't know where our paths will lead us in the coming months, but here's to hoping we'll all remain in the memories we created. Great job everyone...you've exceeded my wildest dreams for this, and I hope you all enjoyed the experience while becoming better writers and friends through it.

Oh...and there's a little somethin' comin' down the road for all you guys as well...*Wink*.

BCF PROMPT: "Labor Day - Let the following quote inspire you to write something labor (any type of labor you want) or Labor Day. 'All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.' ~ Martin Luther King Jr."

I'd like to expand on this quote by adding another from the late Hunter S. Thompson: “Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.” You can't beat the good doctor there. And furthermore, do it right the first time, because it saves you the indignity of having to fix your mistakes.

I realize that's not always the foolproof measure of going about your business...life is full of the pockmarks and scars from having learned the hard way, and sometimes that's the only way some of us will learn. But to be able to string a few good decisions together, coupled with hard work and a little dash of luck, life turns out to be pretty OK. We're human and we're not born with CEO genes or the god-given ability to score touchdowns or write instant best-sellers...a lot of times there's a struggle involved to see the plateau we envision. Everything requires work...and practice...and work...and failure...and work...and practice...and lather, rinse, and repeat. There's no guaranteed, surefire method outside of grinding until you're able to break through. Small victories are great, but don't be totally satisfied with them if they're not your overall goal. Find your place, exploit it for all the ways it can help you, and build. Don't ever stop building...your blueprints are always changing and are seldom finalized.

That's enough motivational speaking outta me. *Smirk*

All I'll say after that is you gotta start small, and recognize everyone that's helped you every step of the way. Never forget where you came from or how that shaped you into the person you are right now...and that includes the haters. There's motivation everywhere you turn, whether it's someone urging you on or someone else who doesn't believe in you. But no matter what, you are your biggest advocate. Don't wait for someone else to tell you what. Be what you think you can be, believe in it, and eventually so will everyone else. That's my word.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Because Labor Day, workers of all kinds.


"Take your instinct by the reins...
You'd better best to rearrange."
Lyrics.  


THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

Blog City image small


*Angel* "'A life - It’s the stuff that happens while you wait for moments that never come.' Comment, expound, elaborate, reiterate or contemplate."

Another excellent Mitchopolis prompt...dude's got a knack for 'em. I'll eschew the John Lennon "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" lyric and instead actually focus on the premise of this particular prompt.

We tend to anticipate. Building up hope upon hope and imagining sequences, played out through motion pictures in the daydreams regarding our most valiant quests. Hope hope hope. We think if we hope long and hard enough, it'l come true...sometimes to the extent that we believe it to be true before the execution or the let-down. I know this, and I'm sure you know it too from experience.

The truth is anticipation and good intentions are often misplaced. Reality is often overlooked. Fucking reality...the same thing that wakes you up dead and cold in the morning when you don't wanna get up for work or school. The same thing that punks you into believing people at face value because they appealed to your needs. The same thing that tells you that you really can't when you swore you most definitely could with no restraint. Fucking reality.

It's a bitch.

But it's all in what you make of it. Are you gonna let it get you down, or are you mentally strong enough to persevere? I can't answer that...that's all within you. I've had countless "great ideas" that were fruitless, and I've been praised for changing minds and outcomes. Not every at-bat will be a home run, and in keeping with baseball terminology, even the best hitters fail 70% of the time. Find your niche; find your way. Gotta deal with life as it comes at you, and you're not always gonna like it. You'll only be judged on how you respond.

THE LISTICLE 9.1

In cooperation with "BLOG CITY presents: The LIST, I present to you this list of song lyrics and quotes about life and living.

1) "Life...is waiting for you." Our Lady Peace
2) "Living Is the best revenge." Eddie Vedder
3) "Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money." NWA
4) "I'm not living...I'm just killing time." Radiohead
5) "It's your life...don't be stupid though 'cuz if you waste it..." Too $hort
6) "'You're still alive' she said...do I deserve to be?" Pearl Jam
7) "My life has been extraordinary; blessed and cursed and won." Smashing Pumpkins
8) "I keep on going, guess I'll never know why...Life's been good to me so far." Joe Walsh
9) "My bad sight made me trip on my ass, right into that patch of grass like that's life" Atmosphere
10) "That's life and I can't deny it; many times I thought of cuttin' out but my heart won't buy it." Frank Sinatra
11) "I've found a way... Am I living in a cardboard box?" Living In A Box
12) "Just to get by, try to stay high, it's a good life, end of discussion." The Get Up Kids
13) "For a good life, we just might have to weaken and find somewhere to go (go where we are needed)." The Tragically Hip
14) "Living is easy with eyes closed." The Beatles

I trust that you all know how to use Google and can figure out how to hear all of these songs on your own.

*Bookstack* I spent pretty much all weekend reading textbooks. I know, lame, right?! I think I've found a pill-less cure for my insomnia...studying. I was knocked out for three hours the other day reading four pages of my Business Communications book, and yesterday it didn't take that much more to send me into nap world while reading my web design book. Tomorrow's gonna be my first hellish test...two classes at the main campus and then my science class at the local extension. And I fucking hate science. Damn near three hours of it? OMFG please don't make me need to know why the environment (green grass hippie love) is so important to my loner computer nerd degree.

No fancy links or anything to share today...just hoping I can get enough of a nap in before "Note: As one of our 14th Birthday activities, [Link To...". I'm all for "Yay WDC Birthday!" stuff, because it reminds me that I've been here nearly as long as the site itself. But more importantly...you! Celebrate you, on the daily!

Peace, time to rise has been engaged, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826844-This-ones-about-the-ombudsman-excellence-and-listicles