*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826926-This-ones-about-here-knowing-and-the-August-list
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2002599
My fourth blog. Amazing yet disconcerting. Don't worry; this'll go away in a year or so.
#826926 added September 2, 2014 at 2:43pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about here, knowing, and the August list.
30DBC PROMPT: "This place is _____; it needs a little _____."

What's up everyone? I've got like a four hour break between classes, and I somehow managed to find myself ahead on my Business Communications homework, so why not kill the rest of the time here? Still no word from my man 30DBC Creator/Founder regarding this month's "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS...luckily since Lyn's a sly fox and I were in charge of August's unofficial activity, I do actually have some control over the forum, so I might update it to at least make it current in the next day or so.

Know what sucks though? I don't have access to the Prompt War Chest, which means I'll be making prompts up on the go. And if you know anything about me, you know coming up with prompts isn't my strongest suit, but who knows...maybe if this turns into an extended gig for me this month I might get a little better at it (*said while crossing my fingers with the hope that Earl rejoins us soon).

Anyway, so today's prompt...I could go with an email I received shortly after I posted the prompt last night: "This place is boring; it needs a little Fivesixer." *Laugh* A short conversation that quickly devolved into a smaller version of me...being a 2.5-sixer. Oh, the things that are said when Charlie ~ is involved. *Laugh*

But since I'm at school, I'll use that as my inspiration (if you can call it that)...this place is like a shopping mall with books; it needs a little less posturing.

That's not to say I don't like it here, because I do. But it's a community college, and to an extent it fits the stereotypes of one...like it's an extension of high school for all the kids who couldn't get into "real" colleges (whatever that means). I can't say I've really ever walked the halls of a true university enough to have a lasting impression, but the feel of the main building on this campus is that of a slightly more complex high school. For example, the cafeteria and student lounge/activity area seems like it takes up a third of the first floor, which looks like an awful lot. I imagine that if everyone in the building (including faculty) at any given time wanted to sit down and eat all together, there would still be plenty of seats left over.

And then there's the kids. I have to keep reminding myself that the majority of the student population is half my age, a point that finally sunk in during a group exercise in Business Communications this morning when we had to introduce ourselves and say a little about our background. "I last went to school 20 years ago..." Yeah, that was rough. But then I look around, and there are definitely some cliques (as I'm sure there are pretty much everywhere else in the world). I know we're still in the early stages of the semester, and eventually a handful of kids will have dropped out and moved on, but there are some people who you see and think, "They're here because they think they're supposed to be here, not because they want to be here." I wonder what percentage of the campus population just visits the building to hang out; do they really attend classes or is it just a show? I'm sure it's a small number, but there's a number no doubt...and I'm sure there are some who see me and are thinking the same thing.

All of this leads me to question whether or not I should be adjusting my expectations of this place and the people who come here. Should I even have expectations? Maybe it's too early to know for sure...maybe I should worry more about myself first and try to reach a level of total comfortableness before I consider anyone else's place here. That sounds like a better personal policy for the time being.

See? Sometimes I just need to talk things out and see them in front of me. Look at me, all learnin' and stuff!

BCF PROMPT: "David Gerrold says, 'Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at.' Do you agree or disagree?"

First of all, I'm too lazy to use Google even with a computer right in front of me...so who is David Gerrold anyway? Whoever he is, I wholeheartedly agree with his statement. It's akin to knowing your weaknesses or limitations, and adapting them to suit whatever situation you're in.

Say you're building a team to...I don't know...play football. You want to place players in positions that accentuate their strengths. If I don't have a very strong arm, I'm not gonna play quarterback; if you're bigger and not as fast, you'll probably play on the line as a blocker because you're not suitable to run up and down the field as a receiver. This model can be adapted to any situation where there's a few people working together toward a common goal...on a class project, or staffing a grocery store, or building a house.

Understanding what you don't know is nearly as important a skill as having any actual skills. You know better what to prepare for and heighten your awareness to compensate. In the long run, it may help you to become more well-rounded, and eventually you could find yourself knowing more than you thought you did. That is, if you're so inclined.

And in the immortal words of my man G.I. Joe, "Knowing is half the battle."

MUSICAL BREAK!!

I actually came across this band via a free download offered by NoiseTrade  , a cool little site that offers tons of free audio and book downloads...and I like free. I've managed to discover a few pretty solid bands, and Wild Child is one of my favorites...some of their songs almost have a Modest Mouse-like quality to them (think the slower, more acoustic and laid back MM songs).


"I bet you think that I love this place...
I bet you wish you could read my face."
Lyrics.  


THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

Blog City image small


*Horse* "Think back on the month of August 2014. Find a moment, one moment, that stands out in your memory - be it good, bad, or a little bit of both. Share it with us. (Inspired by prompt suggestions from Elle - on hiatus - Thanks!)"

I feel like for the longest time now when someone asks me about August of the year of our lord 2014, I'm gonna be compelled to answer with something about the 30DBC Summer Camp that Lyn's a sly fox and I ran. It turned out to be a lot more fun than I imagined, but I typically start out with low expectations anyway...I was just hoping at least a few people would've joined in and made it worthwhile; wow was it so much more!

Yeah, it wasn't your normal camping trip, but I think the turning point of the whole experience was the sharkhorse sighting.

To accompany the tweet of the same subject matter.


I think we were still reeling collectively from some of the weirdness we'd encountered: seeing our names on gravestones, evil fallen sky gods, strange little men, a UFO. We were starting to question the kind of trip we were actually taking...and then the sharkhorse happened. From that point on I think we all kinda threw up our hands and surrendered to that fact that anything could and would happen, and we were powerless to it yet empowered to go along with it as creatively as possible. It was a great group of imaginative minds, and that, to me, was where we started solidifying our bonds. Those we didn't know we got to know, and those we knew we got to know better. I've said it before but it bears repeating...the best unofficial 30DBC activity I've ever been a part of.

THE LISTICLE 9.2

Banner in oranges and blues for THE LIST Blog City Contest


In cooperation with "BLOG CITY presents: The LIST, I present to you this list of songs (loosely) about August and camping.

1) "Cold Wind In August" by Van Morrison
2) "August" by Rilo Kiley
3) "First Day In August" by Carole King
4) "Campfire Kansas" by The Get Up Kids
5) "Take The Skinheads Bowling" by Camper Van Beethoven
6) "Are You Ready For The Country?" by Neil Young
7) "August" by Umphrey's McGee
8) "Jesus In A Camper Van" by Robbie Williams
9) "An August Theme" by ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
10) "Fat Camp" by Therapy?
11) "Bivouac" by Jawbreaker
12) "Nature Boy" by Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
13) "August 28th 3:30am" by Automatic Loveletter
14) "Chillout Tent" by The Hold Steady

I trust that you all know how to use YouTube and can figure out how to hear all of these songs on your own.

*Buttonplay* Have you guys seen/heard this yet? The Unofficial WDC Podcast  ...I plan on checking it out when I get home; it sounds like a pretty sweet thing.

Well, I think I better wrap this up, post it all over the usual places, and make any edits if necessary before class in a half hour. The search for Earl continues! I'll catch you guys later on after my night class. Peace, let my heart settle, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826926-This-ones-about-here-knowing-and-the-August-list