*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828484-According-to-Recent-Studies---
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#828484 added September 18, 2014 at 7:50pm
Restrictions: None
According to Recent Studies . . .
According to Recent Studies . . .

Okay, okay, maybe just one study. Well, more like a survey . . . with no independent/dependent, placebo/non-placebo, secret-pinkie-swear group. Though this may lack supporting scientific evidence, I pretty much trust it . . . at least given that all factors are the same, such as town population, mood of the participants, arguments on the way to school, and who looked at them strangely in the hall between classes.

As a teacher, I look for every opportunity to get to know my students. I'd like to say it helps with their instruction - and it might - but it is more correct to say that I'm just nosyinterested. Therefore, when I call attendance they are given a daily question they must answer. They can lie, because I really don't care about what their favorite fast food restaurant is . . . it's not like I can afford to go there*HappyCry*. It's less boring than 'here' or the occasional 'present'. Plus, I figure if they can't make the small decisions in life, the big ones are going to hit them hard.

But I have learned some interesting information about parenting this week. Monday's question was: What is one thing you like about one of your parents/guardians? They HAD to come up with one. Well, the secret is out! Apparently, I have been trying waaaaayyy too hard, because according to roughly 80 percent of my 8th graders the number one things they like in an adult that has at least minimal control over them is 1. that they feed them and 2. they are nice.

Smile and food? That's it? I read a braziallian inside joke - I know that's not a real number - parenting books when I was pregnant and really all I need to do is slap some peanut butter on some bread and sometimes fake a good mood. ASTOUNDING!

However, there is more to this study. Yesterday, I asked them on a scale from 1 - 10 how strict are their parents, with 10 being they are in lock down prison and 1 being their parents may have forgotten who the adult is supposed to be. Well, those answers were allllll over the place, but it got me thinking so I added another question. What is the ideal number for parental strictness? Now, there were some 1's but majority ruled at 5.5. Strangely, there were no 10's. And to think, I crave lock down prison at times.

My son is a Senior, so I thought I would ask him. He's pretty honest, though he is smart enough to fudge the truth a little too to keep the peace. When asked what are two things he liked about me, his response was, "You cook for me from time to time and you brought me doughnuts for breakfast." Apparently, the food answer continues on through high school. When asked about strictness at first he said a 7 which surprised me quite a bit. I asked him why and he said, "Well, I didn't want to give you a low number because that would make it seem like you don't care and you do. You let me do my own things, but your expectations are clear. So, I guess more like a 5.'

There you have it - I'm the perfect parent. I've decided to quit worrying about making sure there are clean clothes, planning activities, buying him things. I'm just stocking up on Ramen Noodles!

I'm a little hungry myself. I wonder if my mom is busy.

Researching the teenage brain I use that term lightly,
Audra



my newest sig
BOOK
Hey, life? Are you kidding me?  (18+)
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#1578384 by audra_branson




© Copyright 2014 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828484-According-to-Recent-Studies---