*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831653-seasonal-free-write-and-a-review-of-sorts
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #388967
Daily notes and timed freewrites but mostly my blog
#831653 added October 19, 2014 at 3:35pm
Restrictions: None
seasonal free write and a review of sorts
Oh my! Two days visiting in a row. I think I will write here today. Lately, it seems when I peruse WdC I am so sidetracked that I don't write anything.

Halloween, the Celtic New Year, is nearly upon us. Images of ghosts, vampires, Frankenstein's Monster, werewolves, zombies, animated skeletons, jack-o-lanterns, witches and black cats are everywhere. The harvest season is in full swing. Corn stalks are added to decor for parties. Bobbing for apples comes to mind, although I was never very talented at that game. St. Mary's peak has snow on it warning everyone in the Bitterroot area that winter is just around the corner. I am looking forward to the cooler weather (the heat of the short summer is nearly too much for me).

I have finished reading Alastair Reynolds's book The Prefect. If given five stars to rate this story, I'd give it four and a half. The story was interesting enough for me to read it during my breaks at work, but not so captivating as to demand my attention when I was back home. However, the details of people, culture, and the unfolding mystery to this space aged cop on a beat story did hold my interest to the point that I looked forward to work so I could read more. Overall a good read.

I found myself thinking this is the same quality novel I could produce. The story sequence is linear and the four character views (two good guys and two bad guys) give the story depth and a sense of realism. I know this novel will influence any future writing I accomplish. This book has structure.

© Copyright 2014 DyrHearte writes (UN: dyrhearte at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
DyrHearte writes has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831653-seasonal-free-write-and-a-review-of-sorts