*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835125-Grinching-Begins
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#835125 added November 30, 2014 at 5:37am
Restrictions: None
Grinching Begins
I've always thought Thanksgiving sounds like a rather appealing and meaningful day of the year on the American calendar. Unless you're a turkey. We don't celebrate it in England.

I've never been sure what this Black Friday thing is or why it is called that. But it's never appealed to me as it sounds like a chaotic day of selfish, greedy folk fighting over materialistic stuff. We've never had that in England either. Until now.

Why or how we are suddenly inundated with offers from every company online and off this weekend I don't know, but I suspect it's something to do with a supermarket named Asda, which is linked with Walmart in the USA. Sadly it has proved what idiots people can be and how easy it is to jump on the bandwagon in the name of profit. Once again I find myself despairing of the human race and despising the commercial crap that dominates this time of the year.

Some of us have someone in hospital. Again. Some of us haven't the time, energy, enthusiasm or finances to be sucked in to this annual chaos. Once more I want to scream at the western world to consider all the people who are suffering and anxious over other matters far more important than saving a few quid on a television. Rant over.

Hubby is still in hospital and will be until he has completed a course of anti biotic drips. He is not yet mobile and his knee is still very swollen and painful, though I have to believe him when he says all the infection has been washed out. I have yet to find a nurse or doctor to discuss the matter with and have no idea when he will be home. Whatever, it's going to be a struggle with only one loo upstairs and yet another long session of clacking crutches. But he is still here at least.

It's been a draining and hectic week, including a concert in Nottingham with my son, an empty seat where hubby should have been and a funeral of a very close friend which I shall devote an entry to in due course as a tribute. I am extremely weary and cannot believe that humbug and sales are all some people have on their minds. But I did say the rant was over and admit to being a grumpy old woman.

Have managed one more album of photos from the surreal trip to the USA which I'll link below. How quickly things can change, but at least we have the photos and memories. Best viewed as a slideshow.


https://picasaweb.google.com/Eyupmeduck/NewOrleans2014?authuser=0&feat=directlin...

© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835125-Grinching-Begins