*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835723-Comic-books-are-for-idiots
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#835723 added December 9, 2014 at 1:30am
Restrictions: None
Comic books are for idiots

Prompt: In movies and fiction, cartoonish heroes and characters such as Rambo, Batman, Indiana Jones, Wonder Woman and The Warrior Princess Zena charm the audiences. Why do you think is this popularity of cartoonish heroes, and why are they so loved in popular culture?


Since the begining of written storytelling, we have used pictures to tell the story. Then along came the "Comic Book." Stories written with the combination of pictures and words. 

I often heard from teachers and some adults that "Comic books were for idiots that couldn't read!"  That was never my idea. The art work that went into depicting a character was just as important as the verbiage a writer used to depict the same characters.  Yes, it is easier to relate to a picture than have to come up with the picture in our heads. The reader being subject to their own ideas and experiences may have different ideas about what a written character might look like.

Reading these paper stories in the late 50's and 60's seem to bring the adults wrath upon children. They were demeaned for liking to read this form of written storytelling. I never understood why. These stories had just as much thought, plot and character in them as was the artistic aspect of them. In order to keep kids buying the books, the writers had to have characters that were bigger than life. They had to overcome great odds. They might even have to use powers or instruments no one had ever thought about.

Talking wrist watches, webs that squirted from the wrist of a suit. Hooks and ropes that looked small when tied to a belt yet could be thrown to attach to tall buildings.  We want to believe that good overcomes evil. We might like the evil guy, but never want him to win.

Watching Gotham, the TV program is very interesting. The characters are deep. The story intertwined. They weave the back story into the week's plot so one doesn't have to have it told to them up front. Although the whole Gotham story is back story to the original Batman. They have written these backstory characters with faults the person watching feels sympathy for. We all dispise The Joker. Here we see the had a bad home life, was bullied and treated badly. It made him what he became. Lesson? Don't bully kids, they turn into killers with face paint!!!

I remember reading my first real love stories in a comic book. Archie comics. They were teens when I was a teen (of sorts) I could identify with them. I loved the interactions and the conflicts. Each month I saved my nickel or quarter to buy the next installment.

It's no different today. The format has changed. Some are still soft paper but now the writers and artists have created live versions of what we imagined. They are life size on a screen. On our DVR so we can watch them over and over. 

After the old comic books preserved in mint condition rack up millions of dollars to some collectors, we know animation and the animated heros and heroines of the past will be around for generations to come.


© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835723-Comic-books-are-for-idiots